Dry ridge installed correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a dry ridge fitted last November. I have just had some lads come round and reattach a bargeboard that had come loose and they have told me that the dry ridge has been fitted incorrectly. They say that the waterproof membrane isn't stuck down to the tiles correctly. They took a photo and showed me that the membrane is loose, they said that water can get in underneath the membrane. Should the self-adhesive strip be stuck down to the tiles? Will this cause water ingress if it isn't stuck down properly?

Attached is a photo (the best I could get). Some of the membrane looks to be stuck down fine other bits look loose from the photo.

Thank you,

Attachments

• P1010146.JPG
    P1010146.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
Note I'm not a roofer!

From what I've seen online, best practice obviously dictates the roof-flex stuff (membrane as you call it) is firmly adhered to all tiles, following the profile. Having said that, can you get into the roofspace at present? Is there any sign of water ingress at and around that area? If not, you could simply keep a check on it every few months (and check the outside as you have here, maybe get a cheap camera with better zoom) to ensure roof-flex isn't lifting more.

If everything's fine, I'd be tempted to leave as is, like I say as long as you check it now and again inside and out. They were maybe doing the old trick of fixing one (relatively small) thing then helpfully telling you something else needs fixed ;)

I'm not saying this is the right way to look at it, but I bet yours isn't the only roof in the UK where that stuff either wasn't installed correctly in the first place, or has lifted in parts over the years due to weather.

I'm not a roofer either, and I would mostly agree with @diy_fun_uk :)
Yes, it should be properly stuck down to the tiles, but when you consider the surface area of the roof, the ridge is getting the least amount of rainwater flowing over it.
It is at risk of wind blown rain entering, but this (hopefully!) shouldn't cause too many issues.

However, as it was only fitted last November, you should really ask the original roofers back to sort it out!

Ask the original guys to take a look. There are honourable guys out there, not all scallywags. Don't let anyone other than the original guys touch it .

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. It has put my mind at rest :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back