Missing ridge tile – membrane needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photo shows a missing ridge tile from the garage roof. Being new to this I’d like to know what I’m talking about when chatting to roofers/ builders please.

1) The ridge beam is partly exposed. Has some membrane material rotted? Should the beam be covered? If so with what membrane? (I believe the tile’s been missing for some years, though it hasn’t leaked into the garage yet.)

2) Also the corrugated bit of the membrane has lifted up from the flat tiles. Does it need taking out and replacing? If so should the next tile and plastic join be lifted up in order for new membrane to overlap with good membrane under the tile? How do you glue the old and new membranes together?

3) I take it the end mortar should be removed and new mortar added when fitting the new tile? Does the new tile need to be screwed down onto the beam? (Don’t remember any screws on the other ridge tiles.)

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• missing.jpg
    missing.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Looks like a Marley half round ridge .
It's an end ridge which has been dry fixed .
The fabric you can see is simple ridge roll . As the rest of the ridge is still in place all you need is 1 ridge , a bit of mortar , but this time get it drilled and screwed too.

So no need to put on new membrane, Datarebal. Good to know.

I thought since the wooden ridge beam was bare in parts, and the corrugated zig-zap membrane on the flat tile had lifted it would need new membrane put in.

To be fair if it was on my house is get an off cut and drop a piece in .
Most roofers would likely have an off cut kicking about .
The timber is a batten attached to the ridge board .
But basically its not a crisis

Sponsored Links
Ok, I'll probably try and get that covered with a bit of membrane. And try and get it 'tucked in' a bit under the next ridge tile too. Cheers

Just unscrew the second ridge .. easy.
If you want a piece of the proper roll private message me and I'll send it. Just pay a fiver to RNLI

That's odd that it would have rotted away like that in the first place.

Dry ridges are relatively new, and are being pushed as the better option to traditional methods and "the future". And yet if it's rotted there, where else has that occurred, and why is it's life so short?

Rhetorical questions, but concerning all the same.

I'd cover it too,with polythene or suchlike if that's to hand, before fitting the tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back