Dry Ridge roof system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently getting quotes for replacement of existing ridge tiles, I have a hip roof semi detatched house and the ridges are in a pretty poor condition, we are exposed and have a problem with them coming off every few years during gales.

I have been advised to go for a dry ridge system which sounds good especially with the frosts coming and time running out to have them done this year.

My house was built in 1960 and has a type of stone tile. Can anyone give me any advise on which system to go for.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You just need a universal dry vent system, there are a fair number available such as from Klober.

It probably won't be quite so easy though as just removing the ridge and putting back with the system in place as a ridge timber (batten) will need to be installed along with straps fixed to the rafters to hold it in place which will necessitate removing the top tiles, battens and re-fixing same.

Thanks.

Had a couple of roofers round today both recommended dry ridge, first guy mentioned the battens etc. the other didn't go into details but I will ask when I next speak to him. Roofer No 1 quoted £780 and No 2 about £600, haven't had a detailed quote yet second guy lives in the village and is quite busy.

I know all the roofs in this area only had a life expectancy of approx 50 years they aren't brilliant although only one house has had a complete new roof and nobody seems to be having problems.

Waiting for third quote, this roofer is happy to do the dry ridge system using my existing original ridge tiles, but read this morning some older tiles can differ in thickness at each end and a dry ridge cannot be adjusted as with motar, resulting in an uneven line.

I suppose I favour the dry ridge system but there seems to be an issue with aesthetics when using this on anything but a new roof.

Sponsored Links
The quotes seem cheap, as scaffold would normally be £300-£400.

There may be a problem using old tiles, it just depends how uneven and worn they are, but in any case if they are already 50 years old then they are worth replacing. And yes, if the roof has settled, a dry system is difficult to align.

A properly done mortar ridge should last as long as a dry system. More difficult to do, but is aesthetics is an issue, then it may be preferable

In areas of high exposure the hip and ridge tiles can be bedded, bored and screwed with rubber and foam washers to ridge/hip battens.
The nails are pushed through the mortar while soft and ridge is screwed home after the mortar bed has set.
This is assuming 3rd half round ridges.

i'll go with woody on this one, properly bedded ridge will outlive a dry fix one anyday. and look better too.

Thankyou very much, most helpful. I have made a decision going for traditional mortar.

It's beginning to be the norm in this area now when bungalows are sold and bought to have the roof lifted and large loft extensions done and I cannot find one dry ridge but then they are not hip roofs anymore. Neither have the few properties that have had complete roofs. I suppose that should tell me something.

Had a quote pushed through my door yesterday for £1,650.00! this builder did a roof down the road, ridges re-bedded, chimney repoint and clean up, full scaffold, neat job, neighbour happy, uses him all the time.

Quotes aren't just about the money for me....within reason of course.....it can be a gut feeling about the builder and the sort of advice you get.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back