Dry Rot? Wet Rot? Or Nothing to be worried about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just found this stuff on some of the joists in our victorian terrace. It looks like cobwebs but without any holes. And there is a black dust underneath some of it.

There's not loads of it, and it doesn't smell of anything (eg mushrooms). There's no cracking on the timber and no evidence of it mushrooming like dry rot. But I wondered whether it's just in the early stages!

The joists are a bit damp (but not massively - the cellar is well ventilated).
I'm a bit worried by it, but wondered whether it's nothing to be concerned about.
I'd be grateful for any expert advice.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
that is the cobwebs of man eating spiders they lay eggs in your ears and the young eat away at your brain

These do look like cobwebs. Check by poking a screwdriver into the timber to see if its soft.
If the timbers are damp you would not go wrong in treating them with dry rot fluid. This will kill off anything that is there and prevent future rot including wood boring insects.
Good luck

Right then. Cobwebs. Good. Don't mind looking a bit of a numpty if it means no rot for me. The joists all passed the screwdriver test.

Thanks loads merlin and cherryred

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back