Dry rot or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hoping someone can advise!

I’ve recently moved into an 1890s terrace with a deep subfloor void.

Before purchasing I asked the seller to instruct a full subfloor survey (October 2020). Wet and dry rot was found and treated (December 2020) In various places.

I’ve just been down there today and noticed some worrying looking mould/rot and I’m hoping someone can ID it? Also I don’t understand how this could have been missed during the survey/works as surely it’s not something that has spread that fast?!

Many thanks

View media item 106185View media item 106186View media item 106187View media item 106188View media item 106189

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What is the air flow like under there? are there plenty of air bricks on all elevations?

Ken

What is the air flow like under there? are there plenty of air bricks on all elevations?

Ken

ok so referring to the attached floor plan picture, as a result of works done in 2019, a number of new modern plastic air bricks were added (blue markings), small plastic circular vents under the front door (orange markings).

The green marking is an original terracotta air brick which until today was largely blocked due to having a gas pipe passing through and cemented sloppily applied blocking most of the holes. Then Masonry paint over the top of it all (adding another layer of blockage). From the inside there were thick cobwebs akin to shelobs lair. I have since attempted to unblock this vent best I can inside and out but the pipe still passes through the middle of it.

The affected areas are at the white arrow (main mouldy sleeper) and white line (black sleeper).

In summary, there is only one old air brick in that area but hopefully I have improved the airflow somewhat todayView media item 106193.

ok so referring to the attached floor plan picture, as a result of works done in 2019, a number of new modern plastic air bricks were added (blue markings), small plastic circular vents under the front door (orange markings).

The green marking is an original terracotta air brick which until today was largely blocked due to having a gas pipe passing through and cemented sloppily applied blocking most of the holes. Then Masonry paint over the top of it all (adding another layer of blockage). From the inside there were thick cobwebs akin to shelobs lair. I have since attempted to unblock this vent best I can inside and out but the pipe still passes through the middle of it.

The affected areas are at the white arrow (main mouldy sleeper) and white line (black sleeper).

In summary, there is only one old air brick in that area but hopefully I have improved the airflow somewhat today

Sorry, the old terracotta air brick is the yellow marking!

If it's damp or wet rot, then the source of the damp (from the walls by the looks of things) has to be removed (or a barrier installed) and then the timber dries out and all is well - unless the timber is completely soggy.

Had a look at the floor plan, are the "Blue" dots air bricks?

Are there any bricks that have been removed or not inserted in the dwarf wall marked "as red with the white line superimposed, indeed is this wall anywhere a honeycomb construction?

As for the wall coloured "Green" is it as above? [Honeycomb]

Sorry for yet more questions?

What you are looking for is as clear a through flow of air, what you appear to have are [if correct?] air bricks "blue" dots but a barrier down the middle of the property the "red" line + the white [damp] area

Ken.

Had a look at the floor plan, are the "Blue" dots air bricks?

Are there any bricks that have been removed or not inserted in the dwarf wall marked "as red with the white line superimposed, indeed is this wall anywhere a honeycomb construction?

As for the wall coloured "Green" is it as above? [Honeycomb]

Sorry for yet more questions?

What you are looking for is as clear a through flow of air, what you appear to have are [if correct?] air bricks "blue" dots but a barrier down the middle of the property the "red" line + the white [damp] area

Ken.

Ok so blue dots are new modern plastic air bricks. Yellow dot is a clay air brick with pipe running through it and the only dedicated air brick serving the damp area.

There are no air bricks internally and none of the walls are honey combed. I’ve added yellow highlighted markings to the enclosed picture to show the openings to each room, these are in the same place as the doorways up above by the way. The white/red lined wall (problem wall) is a load bearing spine wall, is it still possible to honey comb a load bearing wall? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m clueless with regards to building.
View media item 106194

What's wet and what's dry?
Remove the source of damp ingress - in every picture, it looks like the timbers are "soaking up" water from the brickwork. You want to wrap the ends in DPM wherever they're in contact with the brickwork. Looks like quite the undertaking, though. I think some of them might have been done already, can see a hint of some sheet material in there [not that it seems to have helped].

What's going on here with these newer timbers?

The white stuff looks painted on, rather than something that's grown. The ledger plate [?] looks to be damp on the underside, which means that it will eventually be completely damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back