Dry rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am getting professionals to look at this but wondered if anyone could give me an indication in the meantime. Does this look like dry rot to you? Apologies for the poor quality photos, it's the best I can do with my phone camera.

Note the fine cobweb-like strands and some discolouration of the timber. On the positive side I haven't identified any brittle wood and there is no smell.

Thanks a lot
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Should have said this is in the subfloor of a house I just moved into with inadequate subfloor ventilation

Looks fine to me. Looks like the fine cobwebby strands are cobwebs.....

Sponsored Links
Yep. I'm with the others. This is what galloping dry rot looks like:

20221111_150341.jpg

20221111_151423.jpg

OK, advanced examples, but I'm sure you get the drift

Thanks for the reassurance all. Surveyor's report highlighting high levels of damp and consequent high risk of rot got me paranoid. Will be doing works to eliminate the damp and fully rule out rot in any event, but will rest a bit easier in the meantime.

The best prevention is good airflow
Unfortunately the previous owner blocked off the airflow with a concrete floor on an extension.

Damp surveyor who looked at it pre purchase said the layout means simply reinstating an air brick won't work and recommended filling the subfloor with concrete. I am keen to do in a less extreme way - maybe by installing a fan in the subfloor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back