Dry tiger loop

Bit of an update. The boiler worked intermittently for the rest of the year. Because of other factors I didnt get a chance to get to the boiler - just nursing it along.

Anyway, Thursday morning we woke up freezing. Friday I couldn’t get the thing restarted and the pump was making a horrible noise.
The loops level dropped back to nothing despite the pump running. I figured the pump was dead and not able to pull the oil through.

This morning I set out and picked up a new pump. 10m of 10mm and a load of compression fittings and a pipe bender.

It took most of the day but I replacing the fuel line, repositioned the deaerator (below the pump level) and all the associated pipe work to the pump.

The install is a lot tidier (not perfect but improved) and the deaerator now holds its level. I stripped the pump and there was a chunk of rust knocking around in it.
I cleaned it the brake cleaner and let it sit in kerosene whilst I was working.

Once everything was finished I decided to give the old pump a go as if nothing else it’d pull a bit of oil through a show any leaks.
The pump was quiet again and pulled the oil through happily.

I’m now on a hunt of replacement screws and fittings to get the boiler back to 100%. A bit of a resto project I guess as it’s lost screws over the years and other caps etc. sat with panels off or not fitting correctly. (if anyone knows of a good place to find these, that would be greatly appreciated).

A huge thank you to everyone who offered advice on this thread and my previous one.
Without it I know I would’ve been paying another £600+ for a ‘professional’ to throw parts at a problem that had a simple fix that cost a few hours of my time and £50ish.

Now to read up on how to service the thing and the to try and find a cheap flue gas analyser….

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back