Tiger loop is empty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have an oil fired boiler with a tiger loop. The pipe run is about 8 meters and the burner is about 4 feet above the bottom of the oil tank.
I have lived here for 2.5 years and the boiler and tiger loop are 11 years old. Ever since I moved in, if the oil level in the tank gets down to about 1.5 - 2 ft the tiger loop empties after 8 hours or so of not running. The boiler will lock out and usually I can get it running after 3 or 4 goes on the lockout button, but not this time.
Is this situation normal?
I understand tigerloops have non return valves in them? Given this I would have thought its not possible for the oil to run back to the tank while the boiler is off?
Also, I have read about the bypass plug in the return port in the pump. Is it possible this has not been fitted?
Any help would be great as we are getting a little chilly now :O)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Without examination, it is difficult to diagnose faults on tiger loops.
When it is running, do you see any bubbles? Can you see the fuel running into the return port? Has the pump vacuum been checked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back