Dry verge recommendations please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved house, and want to repair the roof verging.
I'm considering upvc dry verging, but haven't used it before.
Can anyone explain how I would retrofit it? I don't think the roof battens extend far enough to fit into them.
How does it detail with the guttering at the eaves?
Photo attached of a small area i plan to tackle first...

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_133713370_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170429_133713370_HDR.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 289
Sponsored Links
If you Google easy verge and there is a YouTube video also I think. Personally you can't beat a decent wet verge. Mixed properly and installed by a good roofer you'll get 10+years use out of it. If your house has any sort of character I'd avoid DV in my opinion.

Thanks for that. That's an interesting suggestion. What do you mean by properly mixed? Do you just mean making sure you get a good strong mix, and make sure all of the old stuff is well raked out?
Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to employ someone to do it for me, I need to do this myself...

Mixed properly and installed by a good roofer you'll get 10+years use out of it.

More mixing and a better roofer will get 50 years plus! A bit less for interlocking tiles though

Many don't use a mix of sharp (or coarse) sand and building sand.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. That's an interesting suggestion. What do you mean by properly mixed? Do you just mean making sure you get a good strong mix, and make sure all of the old stuff is well raked out?
Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to employ someone to do it for me, I need to do this myself...

You need to remove the end tile and one or two in, fix a rigid undercloak (if the current one is no good) and then rebed the tiles on mortar - not repointed. Nail or clip all the tiles down.

An existing undercloak may be asbestos cement. Not too hazardous, but be aware and take precautions.

You may also need to remedy rotten felt and tile battens while you are there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back