Dryer Vent Through 2' Stone Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to install a washer/dryer, which means knocking a hole through the wall - which is about 2 foot thick, made of hamstone (a limestone). I've never done any substantial drilling before and would be grateful for any advice. Should I worry about a void in the middle of the wall? Are there different options? Hiring a heavy-duty diamond drill from HSS looks pretty expensive.

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've read things on this forum saying that condensing dryers aren't that great and still let moisture into the room. (The house is prone to damp which is the reason I want a dryer.)

Maybe, I don't know, but it's not something you use all day every day. Just open the window in the room it's in and shut the door when it's on.

(The house is prone to damp which is the reason I want a dryer.)

A washer dryer will not remedy a house prone to damp. If you are referring to drying clothes on radiators then you are causing the damp, the house isn't prone to it.

Sponsored Links
condenser dryers not only perform much more poorly but are also more susceptible to probolems in my experience but 2ft is a lot of stone

heres an idea. is the wall solid.....or cavity.....you can buy a long masonary drill bit and "stitch drill" a hole. by this i mean take your drill and drill a hole the size you need one drill hole at a time....lime stone isnt that hard to drill through but it will still take a while.

So if you need a hole 180mm in diameter you would start by drawing your hole then drill a hole at 12 oclock then one at 1 oclock then on at 2 oclock and so on. If your wall is a cavity wall it will be a little easier to do.

Once your holes are drilled you can drill in between and in the circle then have a bash with a hammer.

I reckon you would be better buying or hiring a diamond core drill and extension pieces along with a slow high torque drill.

I had to put a series of holes in 24" sandstone in my house for boilers and new drainage.

If you're stone is not too hard you'll spend about 90 minutes drilling together with using a long chisel to break away the cores once you get in the depth of the core "can". It's tedious but perfectly possible.

I would be worried that you would need considerable skill and a healthy dose of good fortune to be able to drill a series of holes in a 2 foot wall without the other side ending up out of round. Once it's gone wrong it very time consuming to sort out.

Considerable saving in energy with condensing vs open vent and you can always use some of your savings on a dehumidifier for the damp issues. Check the energy levels on the tickets in the shop.

(DIYer not builder)

Maybe, I don't know, but it's not something you use all day every day. Just open the window in the room it's in and shut the door when it's on.
It's in the kitchen, so that's not really practical in the winter when it's needed! :(

A washer dryer will not remedy a house prone to damp. If you are referring to drying clothes on radiators then you are causing the damp, the house isn't prone to it.
I am referring to "condensation" damp and, of course, that is 100% caused by living in the house (including hanging out clothes to dry). As for the house being "prone" to it - my comparison is with a different house, with the same people living in it, doing the same things, but not suffering from so much mould!

mointainwalker said:
Is this stone in cut blocks or random ?
Blocks.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm still pondering the options...

Adam

Even though it appears to be stone blocks you might find the centre is rubble if it's a solid wall. If there happens to be a hard bit of rubble in the middle it can slow core drilling down considerably and displace drill bit drilling. We hit a piece of whinstone (as used for grinding grain in a windmill in one of our cores) and that one took the best part of a day taking turns on the drill to get it through.

Concur with AMEdinburgh. Diamond core drill every time - sod stitch drilling a 600mm wall for a game of soldiers :eek:

One other thing to take into account - by venting a standard tumble drier you throw all the energy it uses (heat) out though the vent, with a condensing drier it stays in the house and keeps you warm.

We have one - works a treat, has an issue with belt tensioners but I can live with changing that and the belt every 3-4 years. We do not have a condensation issue and she does dry clothes inside on racks as well as using the drier.

One other thing to take into account - by venting a standard tumble drier you throw all the energy it uses (heat) out though the vent, with a condensing drier it stays in the house and keeps you warm.

We have one - works a treat, has an issue with belt tensioners but I can live with changing that and the belt every 3-4 years. We do not have a condensation issue and she does dry clothes inside on racks as well as using the drier.

Modern homes do not like condensation in any shape or form.

You would be a complete fool to not vent a tumble dryer to the outside, given the opportunity to do so. To seriously consider or even encourage using moist air as a form of heating is totally bonkers.

Moist air holds more heat but is an insane and unhealthy way to keep a house warm.

A lot of the Hamstone walls in Somerset have an infill of flint pieces in the centre which makes drilling really hard. Sometimes it's quicker to take out some stone, cut it with an angle grinder and rebuild it around the vent. It's only the face that needs to be really neat. Don't really fancy your chances with the stitch drilling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back