Drying out damp before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a spot of damp on a wall between kitchen and bathroom which was causing paint to peel off. I have scraped off the paint and am letting the plaster dry out (have put a dehumidifier in front and the plaster has visually lightened in colour a bit so hoping that it will dry out completely). See the picture attached

My assumption is that the cause of the damp is condensation from the kitchen/bathroom climate.

What would be the best approach/types of paint, or other damp proofing products for repainting this area once dried out, to hopefully avoid the issue returning?

Many thanks for any advice

Attachments

• F916F740-1EEE-41E6-89F1-DC5B4F00B1E6.jpeg
    F916F740-1EEE-41E6-89F1-DC5B4F00B1E6.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
The other side is just tiled wall next to heated towel rail.

The kitchen floor is tiled concrete so not sure if it would be rising damp.
Thanks

Attachments

• ECC2DF75-36CD-4AFF-94A2-4063A2207D48.jpeg
    ECC2DF75-36CD-4AFF-94A2-4063A2207D48.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
the wet patch in your picture is typical of a plumbing leak.

Is it a concrete floor?

Does the washing machine leak?

What would be the best approach/types of paint, or other damp proofing products for repainting this area once dried out, to hopefully avoid the issue returning?

none.

mend the leak.

Check the washing machine connection on the valve and at the back of the machine.

Andy

the wet patch in your picture is typical of a plumbing leak.

Is it a concrete floor?

Does the washing machine leak?

yes it is a concrete floor. The surveyor though it would have been poured directly onto the ground

I have checked around the washing machine and can’t see any sign of a leak but will keep an eye in it next time we do a load.

For additional context, there is also paint flaking in the other side of the door, and above, which led me to assume humidity/condensation was the culprit.

Attachments

• D144E554-D82C-4FF5-BF33-51B945DE7306.jpeg
    D144E554-D82C-4FF5-BF33-51B945DE7306.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 9D606DD9-1FAE-46F2-B8E4-0414AD5D0CC9.jpeg
    9D606DD9-1FAE-46F2-B8E4-0414AD5D0CC9.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 85
Is there a pipe buried in the floor (or wall)?

I don’t think so but can’t be certain without making a hole to investigate. The heating pipes are all external (in the bathroom) and don’t leak.

The only possibility I can think might be the drainage from the bathroom. I don’t think it runs directly under there though.

Having had the plaster exposed for a while now, I have now noticed small crystals forming in the surface. Is this a sign of anything in particular?

if I hack off the plaster to try to locate pipes (would they be buried within the plaster??), is there any type of plaster patching product to use as a patch up diy job to re cover before painting?

thanks again if anyone has any further advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back