drywall screw size

M

marsaday

I need to go through 50mm insulation board and 12.5mm plasterboard.

Are the 75mm drywll screws big enough or do i need 80mm?

Sponsored Links
Even 80mm is too short really; 85mm would do but the nearest you will get to that is 90mm I think; assuming your battens will accommodate them.

i will be going into a 100mm rafter so should be fine.

i dont think screwfix do bigger than 75mm. any ideas where i can get these from.

im currently on a loft conversion with the same spec below the rafters and have opted for 100mm screws.why scrimp ona few quid for total piece of mind???.

Sponsored Links
ok i will get 100mm, but where can i buy them from and what is the likley cost

Take your pick;
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=100+mm+drywall+screws&meta=&aq=0s&oq=100mm+dry
Also worth checking sometimes is a B&Q trade centre & Wickes who stock more than you would think & often do promotions. I always look out for their bulk pack deals of 40mm & 50mm (not sure about they stock 100mm though) & stock up with several packs very cheaply whenever I can. I hardly ever bother with the 3 big national BM chains who are mostly rip off merchants rather than builders merchants; Ive found TP are usually the best of the bunch when it comes to getting a realistic trade discount, particularly if you dont have an account.

strange cos i never bother with TP as theyre always miles more expensive.Buildbase is generally the cheapest around here and make less cock ups than Jewsons.

Agree the big BM try and rip you off. however i have got some good prices off TP for my loft conversion. however i have been to a different branch today and they have given me not so good prices on more stuff i need. so i will go back to the other depot i went to last week (simply passing by the other depot today so called in to get some prices).

for eg. 75mm drywall screws (250) = 8.53 plus VAT. not that good really.

thanks for the link !

ok, but what is the difference between the black and the silver. or fine and coarse. I take it they are for different jobs. So which is used where?

Black phosphate and Zinc phosphate, they are corrosive resistant, they do the same thing!

Fine for metal
coarse for wood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back