Drywall screwdriver not too expensive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I have some new business premises which have had drywall put in downstairs by a professional drywall company

However I have realised that upstairs i need some work doing also but the company i used cannot come in very soon and it needs doing before decorating the downstairs. I am running on a very tight schedule to get the business open

I have plasterboarded ceilings before in home DIY jobs but looking at these lads working on my premises, I realised how quick they were building the drywalls with these red cordless screwdrivers with the name HILTI or something written on them.

Im assuming these are very expensive screwdrivers unless i can buy one for around £50 lol

im not wanting to pay too much for the screwdriver, around £50 tops as i most likely will not use it again, well not in the near future. It also does not necessarily need to be cordless but does need to help me also add 12 mm ply to the floor after the dry walling stage.

Any recommendations guys?

Sponsored Links
not worth buying a screwgun for one job. Just get an impact driver.

Better still dot and dab them with drywaladhesive sticks like **** to a blanket. In 24hrs you won't be able to move it atall much strongerthan drywall screws into lats and you can even out wall shape better. I would rather dot and dab.

I had a senco screwgun before the street urchins of harehills decided it was their right to have everything in my van. Wasn't worth replacing for occasional use impactdriver adequate.

Thanks for the reply Paul

I wasnt actually after a screw gun

Im on about one of those drywall screwdrivers which look like normal cordless screwdrivers but have a bulky head for you to manually hold a screw so you can hold the plaster board with the other hand rather than the screw.

Heres an example but i dont know how good erbauer tools are
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/57237...ivers/Erbauer-ERB500-Drywall-Screwdriver-230V

That Erbaur one will probably do a good job but good decent drywall screwdrivers are quite expensive, and for people in the drywalling trade would definitely spend a lot of money on. For your purpose a regular cordless driver/screwdriver will do the job. Since you are considering screwing plywood down too this will be good for that too. You can also get attachments for drywall screws.

You can pick up a decent Makita 9.6v/12v cordless driver for about your budget and will do your drywall and more. Its light at 1.3Kg and will have enough torque to tackle other jobs.

Sponsored Links
Neds, most makitas ive seen are like £100 plus

I do have a cordless screwdriver which has served me well for the last three years but dont know if the head is removable for a drywall screw head

Can you show me a makita to which i can add one of these heads to for roughly the money im looking at paying

cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
neds i was looking at that bit but ive always had bad experiences when trying cheaper shortcuts lol

I mean the cordless i have at the moment probably will do a similar job to the makita however it is a rubbish make. I have a Parkside or something cordless from Lidl supermarket i think

Also with the bit youve shown above the screw doesnt actually hold in does it? I think what this bit does is simply stop the bit from pushing the screw straight through the plasterboard i dont think it aids in holding the screw properly like the drywall screwdrivers whcih have a springy head

If your up against it, why not just hire a dedicated drywall screwdriver for a couple of days?
£25-30 for a few days id imagine

im a tightass lol

spending around £30 to hire id put that towards buying one lol dont know if its just me but it seems more sensible

A good bit holder will be magnetised, My makita one can hold up a 4" screw easily so smaller drywall screws will be no problem. How much drywall are you actually putting up?

neds cant say exactly but its two walls the first of which is around 5 by 3 meters and the other around 14 by 3 meters. Also I have the ceiling also which is 14 by 5 approx but is a triangular shaped building

However a friend of mine has told me its easier to just get it plastered. Hes a quantity surveyor for HBC and said the material cost would be too much for drylining

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back