Dual Flush Valve leaking

I had to do more than nip it up to get a seal.... hence why using the tried and tested - screwdriver and rubber mallet to get it off again....

Maybe another indicator of a budget valve? Should I be considering a small amount of silicon around the seal?

Sponsored Links
yes put a smear won't do any harm.

should only need a nip then about quarter turn on pliers.

check the cistern for uneven, never have a problem with them seals.

OK a little update today... 'cos I mangled the 70mm nut I went around a load of plumbers merchants...and none had any. I spoke to a guy at Plumb Store who agreed that it was a cheap unit (I wont say exactly what he said :D ) and commented on the fact they generally recommended Twyford stuff which (apparantly) comes with Thomas Dudley innards as standard....

So, I siliconed up the valve and stuck it back in...and low and behold it is leaking again :rolleyes:

I am away tomorrow for a month, but I think as soon as I get back I will replace with a Thomas Dudley unit.

Thanks for the help guys!

Mark

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add my two-pennorth. The seal on these things seems to be deliberately fabricated so that it eventually fails. On the two I have recently stopped from continuous leaking, the seals had little bubbles on them which stops them from seating properly. Reason - the seal is made up of 2 slices of rubber bonded together. Eventually water gets between them & that results in tiny water filled blisters. Proper fix is to replace the seal with a decent one but as a temp. measure the blisters can be popped with a sharp knife & put back.

Hope this helps someone.

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add my two-pennorth. The seal on these things seems to be deliberately fabricated so that it eventually fails. On the two I have recently stopped from continuous leaking, the seals had little bubbles on them which stops them from seating properly. Reason - the seal is made up of 2 slices of rubber bonded together. Eventually water gets between them & that results in tiny water filled blisters. Proper fix is to replace the seal with a decent one but as a temp. measure the blisters can be popped with a sharp knife & put back.

Hope this helps someone.

This helped me and thanks for that. In an earlier post someone said they got rid of this foreign rubbish and replaced with British, ie Dudley Niagara. I agree with that and intend to do it when the whole Geberit Twico flush valve fails. But in this case it is the badly made silicone washer that is failing, not the rest of the valve. This is the proverbial ha'porth of tar that ruined the whole ship and is a case of accountants ruling the expenditure of a company. Nobody learns... BP nearly came to bankruptcy because they didn't listen to the engineers. Motorola sold the iridium project for peanuts just before it became vastly profitable. Mercedes lost all their reputation for quality for the same reason. Geberit valves are not cheap, and the company is Swiss, so this washer failure is unacceptable in a relatively new valve. I hope they've sorted it. Sorry to get on my soapbox!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back