Dual-Fuel Towel Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a dual-fuel towel rail and understand that I shouldn't switch on the electrical element when the CH is in use.

However, I expect that in Spring & Autumn, when the heating is just ticking over, my rail not be hot long or often enough to dry towels properly, and wondered whether its OK to turn the TVR right down (effectively to off) and leave the electrical element on instead? The lockshield valve will remain open, so the water in the rail can expand/contract.

Can't see a problem with that, but I don't want to damage the element.

Sponsored Links
your system ticking over will be exactly the same as on full bore
as in the boiler heats the water to designed temperature
the trv turn the radiator off at the set temperature
if you turn the trv up providing there is no room stat to shut the flow down it will keep heating
just turn the trv up a bit to make sure it keeps the towels warm

remember a kw off electric heat costs around 3 times that off gas and if your boiler is working any way it would be silly to burn electric as well

your system ticking over will be exactly the same as on full bore
as in the boiler heats the water to designed temperature
the trv turn the radiator off at the set temperature
if you turn the trv up providing there is no room stat to shut the flow down it will keep heating
just turn the trv up a bit to make sure it keeps the towels warm

remember a kw off electric heat costs around 3 times that off gas and if your boiler is working any way it would be silly to burn electric as well

On mild Spring & Autumn days, the room thermostat will frequently shut off the CH system altogether for extended periods. There is no hot water being circulated by the pump, and the towel rail is stone cold. The instructions are very clear, that the electrical element should never be used when the CH is on, but I am asking whether it is OK to turn the rail's TVR to off, to prevent water circulating through it when the heating is operating, and run the electrical element without risk of damage.

If I wanted warm towels when the heating was running, but not otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered with the dual-fuel option. I appreciate that the running cost of one is higher than the other, but having a cold towel rail wasn't the aim.

I was looking at changing my towel rail to a dual fuel, after reading about shutting off valves etc, I thought b&^%%cks to that & have just installed (ie yesterday ) an electric one next to the wet one. I have bought an electric one with a t/stat & wired it through the wall on to a time switch.

Sponsored Links
I was looking at changing my towel rail to a dual fuel, after reading about shutting off valves etc, I thought b&^%%cks to that & have just installed (ie yesterday ) an electric one next to the wet one. I have bought an electric one with a t/stat & wired it through the wall on to a time switch.

I can't see a problem with shutting off the TVR, and using it as an electric-only rail for most of the year, but I'd be glad to hear of anyone's experience.

I've just fitted a dual-fuel towel rail and understand that I shouldn't switch on the electrical element when the CH is in use.

Me too but I didn't realise that this is the case. Will have to be careful about this. Had one at the previous address and had no problem at all though. :?:

Me too but I didn't realise that this is the case. Will have to be careful about this. Had one at the previous address and had no problem at all though. :?:

I'm not completely sure, but I think the issue is that there is a cut-out device (not resettable) in the element that will 'blow' at the temperature a modern boiler will circulate water in a CH system. If your boiler runs at a lower temperature, there may be no problem at all, except that you are wasting the electricity, as the additional heat being generated won't stay in the rail, but gets pumped around the whole CH system.

• Thanks
Reactions: AyB

I'm not completely sure, but I think the issue is that there is a cut-out device (not resettable) in the element that will 'blow' at the temperature a modern boiler will circulate water in a CH system. If your boiler runs at a lower temperature, there may be no problem at all, except that you are wasting the electricity, as the additional heat being generated won't stay in the rail, but gets pumped around the whole CH system.

That makes sense to me.

Instructions
http://www.geyser.co.uk/-i-24.html[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's quite clear that it's OK to operate the electrical element with the TVR (or ordinary valve) shut, whether or not the CH is running. The lockshield valve remains open (or, more likely after balancing, partly open) so the water can expand safely as it heats up.

Good: I think that means that I'll expect to run electrically Spring/Summer/Autumn, and from the boiler in the Winter. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Just one small point to remember thermostatic radiator valves have a frost facility built in, so even if the valve is "off" should the room ever approach freezing, perhaps because a window was left open on a cold day the valve will allow heating water to flow to the rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back