dual insulated light issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have renovated my bathroom recently. I changed the ceiling light for a dual insulated one. This left me with two earth wires which I wrapped in tape, is that the correct thing to do?

However once the new light was fitted and I turned the power/light back on the spotlight in the corner no longer works? It was working fine with the old light installed. Any ideas what I could try or am I missing something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thosse two earth wires must be sleeved (grren&yellow) and connected together using a piece of insulated terminal block (aka choc block)

As to your other light, it will depend on how you reconnected the cables that go to your new light.
How many cables are there?
Did you make a note of how they were connected to the old light (essential)?

There are 2 blue, 2 brown and 2 green in a grey sleeve? I must admit I did not take a note of how they were connected! Thought it would be a case of matching the live and neutral, not the case?
:oops:

Sponsored Links
I must admit I did not take a note of how they were connected! Thought it would be a case of matching the live and neutral, not the case?
:oops:
schoolboy error :!:

There are 2 blue, 2 brown and 2 green in a grey sleeve?

Ideally you require an approved voltage indicator.
*2 browns: these are the live loop and require connecting to together in a spare connection block (one is permanently live and the other supply's a live feed to the switch) sometimes the fittings comes with a spare, if not you will need to acquire one. Please note this is not the live side of the lamp!
*2 blues: one is neutral and terminated at the neutral terminal of the lamp, the second is known as a switch live, as it becomes live when the switch is closed, this is when your voltage tester comes in handy.
This should be identified as a phase conductor and sleeved or marked brown, then connected to the live side of the lamp.
*2 green/yellows: theses are terminated together in a separate connection block and left in the fitting safely, if double insulated fitting and no terminal point offered.

Thanks for the help guys. Think I will get an electrician in for this bit, not quite as simple as I anticipated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back