Dual or triple glazing for air source heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property was built in 1998. My gas boiler will need replacing in 5-7 years, fingers crossed. With government pushing heat pumps and the risk on other nations to supply gas, I’ve got to consider ASHP as an option for heating when it needs replacing. Given my windows need replacing next year, I’m wondering whether I go for triple glazing. Must ASHP heating require triple glazing to be effective?

Sponsored Links
My property was built in 1998. My gas boiler will need replacing in 5-7 years, fingers crossed. With government pushing heat pumps and the risk on other nations to supply gas, I’ve got to consider ASHP as an option for heating when it needs replacing. Given my windows need replacing next year, I’m wondering whether I go for triple glazing. Must ASHP heating require triple glazing to be effective?

No they do not require triple glazing to be effective.

You may find that other improvements are more beneficial, especially dealing with any air ingress.

The most likely change for a good ashp installation is larger emitters e.g. radiators or UFH and/or larger pipes for higher flowrates.

Thanks. I don’t want to make a big mistake years later in order to save on the incremental cost. That would be a pane.

Really do your homework on air source pumps ( and ground source ) before committing, I'm reading some real horror stories of how they aren't as efficient as we are being led to believe

Sponsored Links
The most likely change for a good ashp installation is larger emitters e.g. radiators or UFH and/or larger pipes for higher flowrates

Added insulation is necessary in almost all cases simply because the average domestic ASHP cannot provide as much heat as a modest gas fired heating system.

In winter when the temperature of the source air is low the COP averaged over a couple of hours can fall as low as 1 due to the evaporator ( outdoor unit ) icing up which then requires electric heating to defrost the evaporator. Some ASHPs defrost their evaporator by running the pump in the opposite direction pumping heat from the house and into the evaporator.

COP is the Co-efficient of Performance = Heat supplied to rooms / electrical power used by heat pump.

I would just make sure you choose a brand name 50 degrees centigrade system. I fell into the trap of believing all the horror stories and choose to way over-spec my system both in size and temperature, I should have saved my money. Mine was an 80 degree system and it is much hotter than I require,Fortunately it is an inverter system so completely variable. Unfortunately the 80 degree system requires an indoor unit which takes up space in the airing cupboard. When my mother-in-law also decided to change from oil, she went with the recommended Hitachi 50 degree unit and it's out put is plenty hot enough for both water and heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back