Duct For Control/Data Cables on my Own Land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to run a duct from our garage, under the (gravel) drive to the house. Specifically this is for a monitoring sensor needed for our planned solar install, but while doing this I'll also run two or maybe three Ethernet Cat5e cables. So nothing above 48V.

Are there any regulatory requirements on type and colour of duct needed, mimimum burial depth etc? The supplier has all sorts comments about it being a legal requirement to use the correct rated and colour duct. But for example is it acceptable to use electrical duct, marked as such and if I do then would that oblige me to lay it at depth required for mains service?

This is the sort I was looking at ..

Any comments welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
That would be fine

Under a gravel drive I would suggest a minimum of 450 mm deep then sand or soil on top of it

Use the pull cord wisely and don’t remove it

Use the pull cord wisely and don’t remove it
By this I believe M means to attach another pull cord to the first pull cord when pulling wires through, so you always have a pull cord in there

450 may be overkill. If you don't want to dig so deep it's possible to get armoured Ethernet but realistically a 32mm MDPE water pipe buried at even 100 mm ain't gonna get crushed by a car rolling over it. And it's smooth internally so if you did lose the pull cord before you ran your first wire you could likely just push the wire through over such a short distance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back