Duct from Bathroom Extractor to Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies if I use the wrong terms for anything, this is all new to me.

So, I moved house last year and all has been relatively good so far - however, a slight snag has been that in the recent poor weather we've had a leak in our loft.

Upon further investigation it seems that the ducting from the bathroom extractor fan to the external wall has served as a mouse house at some point and repairs were made with tape that finally has given up the ghost.

When it comes to replacing the ducting, do I just replace the whole ducting (using something like Manrose PVC Flexible Ducting Hose) - or does it depend on the extractor/vent in question with regards to how you'd approach this and suitable fixings?

Thanks for any guidance

Sponsored Links
You might as well replace all of it; I doubt you can get short lengths.
Make sure it has no dips where condensation can accumulate.

Sponsored Links
please show us a photo of your current arrangement to see what will fit easily.

If you can run (most of) the duct in rigid tube, you can slope it slightly downwards as it goes outside, so condensation drips out. Rigid tube doesn't accumulate so much dust and fluff, and rodents can't gnaw it.

Condensations only a problem with low powered fans , a decent fan shifts the damp air and also evaporated any moisture in the ducting.

Sorry for the delays in this - Jan and most of Feb have been written off for me doing anything.

Attached is the only photo I have of the loft (currently away from home), I hope that the fact that the duct goes up and then down is nothing of concern (the one on the other side does a similar thing), but the biggest issue I imagine will be the lack of easy access.

So, under the insulation it's connected to the fan, and then leads away to the outside (which is where the tear was).

Attachments

• IMG_5959.JPG
    IMG_5959.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 147

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back