Ducting in CLS 63mm studword

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to vent out the tumble dryer along a 2m stud wall to external. The wall is constructed of 63mm CLS timber. I was looking at cutting through the uprights with 54mm venting am i literally cutting it too thin as i guess im going to end up with a max of 4mm walls ifi cut the slots dead center. Or should i be using narrower 24mm ducting which im concerned doesn't give enough air volume? Thoughts appreciated.

1673903184133.png

Sponsored Links
Might I suggest a condensing dryer? Keep all that lovely warmth in the house rather than throwing it out of the door?
Does your duct have to be invisible? Yes cutting cls to that depth will make the wall very wobbly. Your best plan B will be the flat 110mm equivalent ducting fixed to the wall surface

Might I suggest a condensing dryer? Keep all that lovely warmth in the house rather than throwing it out of the door?
Does your duct have to be invisible? Yes cutting cls to that depth will make the wall very wobbly. Your best plan B will be the flat 110mm equivalent ducting fixed to the wall surface
The problem with those lovely warm condensing dryers is they still kick out moisture. Ours despite being 1year old Samsung Heatpump we now have mould forming on the coving directly above Dryer. Hence im trading it for a vented.

Im guessing re studwork if i cut the slow really low it won't comromise the stud so much or like you say i run it external, thanks for your thoughts all the same, most appreciated.

Presumably your stud wall has plasterboard on it? What you could do is sink the (flat) duct into the CLS then plate over it with 5mm steel strap (TS/Screwfix sell it). To be really posh you'd rout out the cls as well so the 5mm steel was flush with the surface, then plasterboard over the top and job jobbed.
Ah, pity the condensing types don't work- unless it's a ventilation thing (think we're all draught proofing everything at the moment!)

Sponsored Links
I've got a siemens heat pump dryer in a room it's impossible to vent out of but does have a drain. It's plumbed in and doesn't create any moisture what so ever than I can see. I have a humidity meter close by, so I'm sure I'd know.

general comments
in a horizontal location 25% or16 mm would be maximum in the correct location
now in vertical its still the same but iff you say added 12mm ply to both surfaces rather than plasterboard you may get away with far less but you now start to become non standard or not compliant so possibly a problem in the future??

Last edited:
Rectangular duct fixed to the surface of the wall would do. At skirting or ceiling height will not be obtrusive

Is this in a kitchen that has wall and/or ceiling cabinets?

Do you have suspended floors? Mines in the middle of the house and goes out the front via 5m of 110mm soil pipe under the floor. The air from a drier is quite heavy and would rather go downhill if it can.

Do you have suspended floors? Mines in the middle of the house and goes out the front via 5m of 110mm soil pipe under the floor. The air from a drier is quite heavy and would rather go downhill if it can.
Argh yes its a block n beam floor but we've just finished floor screed doh. Ill pocket that idea for next time though cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back