dud parquet - update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve spent a long time looking through this forum for help laying reclaimed parquet, so here’s some feedback for anyone else doing the same.
I bought 60sqm reclaimed maple parquet allegedly from Nottingham post office from ebay. The plan was to floor sitting room (22sqm) and dining room (18sqm). When I sorted, this turned out to be ~45sqm of mixed blocks – thicknesses ½” to 3”, widths 2 ¼” to 3” of different woods from at least 10 different sources. I spent over 100 hours over 5 weeks scraping bitumen from top and sides of blocks (left bitumen on bottom) and sorting into sizes. Realised I couldn’t get enough suitable blocks for 2 rooms so concentrated on the dining room. I used blocks 3” width for main pattern with smaller widths for edging blocks to get enough of approx same thickness (wish I’d had industrial planer).
I’ve taken a week off work to lay the blocks. I started with making a right-angle baton in the centre of the room and worked out. I used F Ball Styccobond F21 adhesive – this involves dipping the block in bitumen and then setting – it seems quicker than troweling an adhesive. I went off pattern a couple of times and used narrower blocks to make the pattern up. I laid the blocks the wrong way round the fireplace, but it was too late/too fed up to do anything about it by the time I’d noticed (the set blocks only lift by splintering the floorboards).
Despite all the sorting and grading the block thickness as they went down, I still ended up with up to 5mm height differences between some blocks. I planed the worst of the blocks (planer didn’t fit to edges so edging blocks still not 100% level). I cut the blocks at the end of the herring bone with an electric mitre saw – great tool. I didn’t think that I would get woodyoulike’s tip of using a plunge saw right – it doesn’t seem very safe if you haven’t stuck the blocks down, and if they are stuck down it would be an awful job lifting the half block not needed, or perhaps I just haven’t grasped the idea.
I thought I’d planned really well in terms of timing the sanding hire for being off work. I’d planned to use the sanding hire co. recommended by some users of this forum. Their website says that they have huge stocks of sanders in their Manchester depot (closest to me). When I phoned, they haven’t actually opened a branch out of London yet, so I won’t be using them again (may they quake in their boots or something like that!). I was forced to use a drum sander – I know, I know, you advised not, but what else could I do? Worked down from 24 grit to 150 grit. (this was the worst day when 3 hours of sanding with 24/40 grit didn’t get them level enough to remove outer dirt/varnish; 5 hours did). Filled with 150 grit dust with lecol 7500 and resanded. (best tip, hire a hoover with the sander to save wrecking you own!).
I couldn’t get hold of these adhesives and fillers locally so ended up ordering from the internet. Minimum delivery charge £18 but quick delivery. I bought beading locally (in retrospect should have got flat beading from woodyoulike) and fixed with styccobond F33 a rapid set polyurethane adhesive which never comes off your fingers. Fixed beading (mitre saw again). The curve round the fireplace gave me some trouble, but managed it with 3 small blocks using 22.5 degree angle. Filled edges (remember uneven blocks at edges as planers and sanders won’t go there). Doing two coats with osmo hardwaxoil. I tried to include pictures with this posting, but the site wouldn’t let me. The end result really does look good though I’m aware of every imperfection (I’ve always been a pessimist). However even the most critical friends are impressed.
Although I’m reasonably happy with the end result, I will never ever do this again. I don’t think it’s been worth the time and effort. It hasn’t been a labour of love, it’s been labour of pig-headedness, determined not to lose all the money spent buying dud parquet. I intend using the rest of the blocks as firewood (does anyone know if the bitumen will be a problem?) Many thanks to woodyoulike for the advice. If you lived closer, I’d buy you a pint and pay you to lay a floor in my sitting room. As it is, I’m going next week to find a local professional to sort the other room out!

Sponsored Links
Compliments on not giving up on your project! And I settle for a virtual pint ;)

If you mail me your pics I could place them here (via my own server), would love to see the result.

Sponsored Links
Looks lovely

diningroom_bitumen1.jpg

Very light coloured it turned out in

diningroom_bitumen2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back