Dulux Diamond Satinwood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been offered a 2.5L tin of this at a very good price but I want to know if it's worth bothering with?

Anyone have experience of using the 'Diamond' variant of this paint?

Or should I just stick to the normal Satinwood?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ive used diamond matt...nightmare!...crap!..it wasnt a matt finish it felt rough and the edges picked up when you rolled back over the cutting in.

Hi

just finished a job with the diamond matt, as zampa said, suffers badly from lifting, also suffers from flashing, there is a trick to using it though and that is to wait until fully dry before rolling out and do not over roll. I love the stuff now but hated it before I got used to it. Other decorators will say the same, some love it some hate it. I would aways say though that it is really for the pro. If we struggle with it so will you. That will go with the satinwood as well. Personally I think it is the best thing since sliced bread but then again I might be biased ;)

there is a trick to using it though and that is to wait until fully dry before rolling out

I know what you mean there and its a good idea...but wouldnt rolling over the dry cutting in cause a bit of flashing in itself?...maybe not if you keel it as tight to the ceiling or door frames as possible?

Could also be a problem time wise (especially on a Friday afternoon!)

Personally I think it is the best thing since sliced bread but then again I might be biased

Do you have a bit of a thing about sliced bread then?..(dough devient?) :)

When I first used the product not long after it came out I had an absolute mare with it...i was painting over previously painted walls..some matt some silk two of the walls had leyland maggy on them six had crown...(the owner told me)

When I rang Dulux tech support they said, as they always do.."ive never heard of that happening before"

Then the classic......"have you stirred it"

Then they asked what was on the wall before.....I played this one cute and only mentioned the silk at first...the 'expert' said the walls should have been throughly rubbed down first to remove the sheen..

Then I mentioned that some were matt finish....."oh" :rolleyes:

They then tried the "we cant guarentee it unless its over a suitable dulux product"

I told them that the walls we Leyland...they said "that could be it then" ..I then said some were Crown...

And asked 'could that 'be it' too then" :confused:

"Oh....erm... :confused: "

I said so your product is 'that good' it can only be used over one type of paint then...yours"

"Er... :confused: "

I got my money back on the paint...but the customer was far from happy with the look and feel of it

I havnt touched it since

Sponsored Links
Ive used Diamond Matt. I think its called Endurance Matt now.

The walls and ceiling were plasted 6 months ago. I used Dulux Supermatt to prime the walls. I then used 2-3 coats of watered down Dulux Endurance paint using a paint brush only (I dont like the pimpled finish offered by rollers). It went on fine, with no problems.

I have also bought Satinwood, Endurance. It is reputed to be 10 time tougher than normal Satinwood - something that I like. I shall be painting my skirting, bedroom door and French doors (which have been primed using Zinsser's BIN), using the Satinwood Endurance paint. It should go on fine.

I get the feeling that some of the more experienced decorators tend to have their own personal favourites and dont particularly like the newer "hi-tech" paints. I remember reading the comments on Dulux's new 'Light and Space' range of paints and they were not complimentary.

I'll try any new product myself, ive bene using water based gloss for years and find it great...in some situations and poor in others, but the paint comoanies are famous for their 'stock quotes'..they also beleive too much of their own hype.

When Dulux brought out glidden paint it was sposed to be the big thing from the states...in reality it was awful and they had the re brand it and re formulate it here, if theyhadnt they probably wouldnt be selling it now.

The paint companie test these paints in unrealist conditions, dont take my word for it..buy a can of any paint and try and match the coverage rates quoted on the tin...you wont.

Dulux are the market leader no doubt...but they make errors, they had a paint out for a good while, 'Duet'...it was sposed to emulalte rag rolling...the base coat was 35 quid a tin, (at a time when ordinary emulsion was about 12) the top coat coat was the same..and the protective glaze...an average size room would set you back around 300 odd quid in paint alone...most painters who did decorative effects wouldnt use it becuase it was considered too amutuer and most DIYe'rs either couldnt afford it or wouldnt buy it in case they mucked it up...ask Dulux where it is now?...binned.

Zampa:
Duette :(

I used it a few times but didn't really like it, like you say, it was expensive.

Last time I used it I was doing someone's staircase walls with it and I couldnt keep the edge going on the main wall and I'm quick . I thought it looked awful but I got away with it :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back