Dulux paint pod..a review!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right then..dont ask why but my manager got a couple in today and asked me to give them a whirl..my reaction was a mixture of laughter and exited expectation.. :evil:

Setting up, didnt take long and being a bloke I didnt bother with the instructions! so it might have taken a bit less time overall if I had bothered!

Setting up took about ten mins.

The paint...I thought it would be thin, it isnt, but its 'sticky' if you know what I mean.

I dampened the polymide roller sleeve supplied first..turned it on and away I went.

To be honest I was surpirsed, it does deleiver the paint to the roller head quite effectively.

Rolled an area of Jadey greeney blue wall with natural hessian colour, if covered well (not in one coat though) ...first problem, it skids, slowly.

The wall started to look like id brushed it with a six inch!..then i realised its down the the application of paint, if you put too much on it will skid...you have to put it on then roll it out.

The brush they supply is triangular and the handle is a weird shape..you will struggle if your used to traditional brushes..that said it went down the corners nicely.

Atfer a few of us had had a go it came to the cleaning out..self cleaning apparently....you fill a tank with 5 litres of water, the machine sucks the remaining paint out and then reverses and pumps clean water back through...the roller was left half full of thin paint..so i did it again and again..in the end I still had to wash the roller out under a tap.

The machine was left fairly clean though.

The paint at thirty quid a pop is a little more than it costs in the shops so id suggests saving the cans and using normal stuff thinned out a little.

In summary...

Hmmm...an expensive bit of kit for the DIYer..it sort of works but not quite as well as Dulux claim, the cutting in brush is far to small..youll need a traditional three inch.

Limited to one type of sleeve, so its no good over very rough walls..and IMO the sleeve is a bit to long for smooth walls.

The choice of colours is always going to be limited as well.

And you have to replace the main paint suction pipe that goes into the paint after every ten gallons of paint used.

If you turn up with one of these on site expect some serious stick!

Too expensive for the DIYer..to 'DIY' for pro painters

£50 in the sales by christmas.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Zampa, theres been a lot of speculation/ridicule about this bit of kit on the forums, nice to have an informed opinion.

I've already had clients asking why I'm not using it - now I can tell them!

Bout the same as normal emul...

Sponsored Links
I just used a couple of the ordinary rollers - same as the pod ones by the looks.
Boy were they carp ! kept falling off the rollers etc.

I have just returned one to (the orange coloured DIY shop) last night because the motor was whining and only pumped halfway, accepted exchange for another one as I had already spent £80 on pods.
Took it home 9pm last night and now this unit has a faulty handset (it uses wifi to 'ID' itself to the main unit) !!!
Iv'e lost 6 hours already faffing to and fro the shop. Lesson: don't buy new product until its first revision at least.
Will be returning this and the pods for a refund... now where's the Harris rollers section?!? :idea:

Don't waste your money! Not only is the paint very expensive, but extremely thin, so unless you're painting over white walls you'll need to do at least four coats to get the same depth of coverage as two coats of cheap emulsion from Wickes with an ordinary roller. Worked out to paint our whole flat would not only take three times as long in man hours, but cost 14 times more! Avoid unless you have time and money to burn!!!

I bought one paintpod bottle and 2 tins of the same Dulux paint, when the paintpod bottle ran out, I poured the tinned paint into the bottle - it worked fine (no need to thin it out). I've painted 4 rooms with it - no problems.

This product is awful!!! I tried it out on the smallest room in my house (9ft x 6ft). Before finishing the first wall I was on to my third roller after the first two broke under the slightest of pressure. Carrying on, I was covering a very light yellow with a new bright white and THREE COATS later I can still see the yellow. The paint is crap. Add to the fact that the tube feeding the paint batters off the area of wall you have just painted.... Self cleaning = a joke. The thing is as noisy as hell, awkward to move, fiddly, messy as hell when you try to clean it, overall it really is awful. For £60 I was expecting more.

I'm off to buy a normal roller and tray and paint which is half the price (£30 for 5litres? WTF!) and get the job done in half the time.

Not one good thing to say. Rant over

The only pods worth buying are Senna Pods...They do exactly what they say on the packet :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back