Dulux Satinwood changed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just painted the woodwork with a new tin of Dulux Satinwood and it's definitely changed from what i'm used to.

Now, I'm not in the habit of walking around the house stroking the paintwork but previously the (dried!) paint had a really luxurious silky feel to it with a very constant sheen. This new lot felt and even sounded rougher when touched and the sheen didn't seem quite as consistent. They even used to call this paint Silthane "Silk."

I know some of you might think I've picked up dust or other contamination but I've experimented and had the same results even on the same stretch of woodwork I have an older tin of the stuff and it is a much smoother finish compared to the new tin.

I'm wondering whether it is due to yet another EU directive about reducing the VOC's in the paint as these amounts are now stated on the new tin of paint - even more reductions required by 2010!

I know it sounds a bit a**l but I used to love this paint but now it feels like Berger or other low cost paint. Has anyone noticed this difference in finish or have I just bought an unlucky tin?? Thanks for any replies. Paintboy.

Sponsored Links
Trade or consumer?[/quote] - Me or the paint?? if the paint -

I must confess the good old tin was Trade, the new paint i'm complaining about is consumer. The consumer paint seems to come in two different varieties, one says "don't stir" the other you do stir.

I used the one that says "Stir before use" which I thought would be much the same sort of paint as the Trade tin. In the past the consumer paint was just as "silky" as the Trade paint - is there now a diffence between the Trade & Stir type consumer paint?

I realise this thread is a couple of weeks old but hope this is useful anyway.

I had a similar problem (with Dulux Satinwood) - definitely an inferior finish, visible brush strokes, etc. I have been advised by my Paint Guru (the very knowledgeable man in charge of the paint dept. at the builders merchants where I get my paint) that

(i) it has indeed changed
(ii) the oil-based trade version is better than the 'retail' version, which is water-based. A synthetic brush is recommended.
(iii) the absence of VOCs means it is slower to dry (although it should be touch-dry within about 4 hours) and slower to flatten and develop its satin/eggshell finish - when first applied it looks like high-gloss, which can be disconcerting. he said it can take up to a week to look like satinwood. This is because the VOCs were added in the first place to speed up drying time and flattening-out time.

A bit of a pain, but then (according to my GP) so are the fumes from VOC s, which are carcinogens.

Sponsored Links
Using the Dulux trade Satinwood, I have experienced the rough texture like finish, thought at first it was me not dusting proper etc. rubbed sown made sure clean etc all ok ~~ but several times it's happend again, I suspect that it may be the paint reacting somehow ? leaving a rough texture too even to be a missed dusting? :confused: Apart from that I suspect Dulux have tinted the brilliant white as I found a samll ammount of stainers inside a brand new (from factory) tin just by the lid (similar too a colour mix). Seems like a blue white similar to non yellowing radiator paint :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back