Dulux soft sheen mouldek as a mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just added a lot of polycell trade filler to some areas of my bathroom and was going to do a mist coat (20% water mixed) of Dulux mouldtek soft sheen and then finish with a dulux bathroom paint as a top coat.(mixed at B&Q)
Is this ok, as I have 2 tins of mouldtek for the celing so plenty left.
Also,
How long to wait before applying the mist coat, as I applied the filler over 6 hours ago and has turned from a light grey to white so assume has dried, but I'm sure I read somewhere that its best to wait 24 hours?
Thanks in advance,
Franc

Sponsored Links
No I would'nt recomend it myself, far better off to use a thinned Matt emusion.

Dec

Sorry I forgot the filler, the drying times here will depend greatly on the thickness of the filler, yet as a general rule of thumb 6 hrs on an interior app should be fine. Best answer is if you are a little unsure wait a little longer, better to safe than sorry.

Dec

forgot to say the foller is only 3mm thick at worst.
I cant justify another trip to the diy store.
I have some waterbased homebase weathercoat primer undercoat. or some dulux weathershield smooth masonary paint.. can i waterdown any of these 2?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dec!
I'll use the primer.
At least its one less tin in the house for my partner to moan about.
Thanks again

Seems like Betty more and more everyday! Especially when I'm on the DIY.

At least you can blame any 'Whoopsies' on the cat! :D

Back to the job in hand. Assuming the Homebase primer is all purpose, then I agree with Dec that there shouldn't be a problem using it on the walls, but I would be a bit wary if it's a wood or metal primer as they are designed to be used with wood and metal finishes. Never used it myself, so can't really say for sure.

Weathercoat primer undercoat is formulated for use on wood and metal, products such as this have a multitude of uses and the op will not encounter any problems with it's use.

Dec

For information, Dec was spot on.
I watered down what was left in the tin yesterday and primed the bare plaster. Today I added a couple of coats of dulux bathroom paint and the finish is superb!
Thanks again Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back