Dulux Trade Satinwood (oil-based) - do I need to thin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would I be advised to thin the paint a little with white spirit before I paint it? Or should I just paint from the can as is?

If I should thin, what percentage of white spirit to satinwood should I be aiming for....10%?

Reason I'm asking is because I've applied 2 coats of eggshell and can still see all the brush marks in it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ambiant temperature, surface, humidity, and brush type, will all determine how much one should thin..Often a decorator will have a prefered thickness to increase flow and ease of handling. If the surface is completly smooth and devoid of all blemshes,your 10% option would be ok.

Cheers oldrope. Have never painted with Satinwood before, but got the Dulux Trade version and thinned it a little with white spirir.....went on beautifully.

Sponsored Links
Hi MK2PHIL

White spirits will be recommended by many people as the way to minimise tramlines (aka brush strokes). Ultimately this is counter intuitive though because adding more solvent makes the paint dry faster, giving one less time to brush it out.

The better alternative is to use a product like Owatrol, a mix of linseed oil and turps. it does not thin the paint, like white spirit, but makes the paint more manageable by marginally retarding the drying time, allowing for a longer working window. more time to move the paint before it thickens.

a decent paint like Dulux trade is better suited to allowing thinning with white spirit than some other brands. Other brands, however, might suffer from sheen change and could end up being too thin (if using white spirit).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back