Dulux trade satinwood - oil v water - advice on staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have seen some older posts on people’s views on Dulux trade satinwood (oil v water based) but thought I would look for an up to date view. I am about to paint my hall, stairs and landing including the staircase (lots of spindles!) and I am unsure whether to go with the oil based (what I have used in the past) or to go water based. It’s a few years since the hall etc was last painted and I am tempted with the water based but is it hardwearing, is it easy to apply and what brush type is best to apply? I keep reading about yellowing with the oil based and that water based is a pain to apply – any thoughts appreciated

Also, is Dulux trade better than their non-trade paints found in B&Q and elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
The dulux trade paints are vastly superior to the retail versions.

I am not a fan of waterbased finishes, I want to be, but I find they don't flow as well, are much less durable and rubbish at obliterating previous colours.

Sponsored Links
Currently at the painting stage of our full house renovation and have used Dulux Trade whenever possible (DT Vinyl Matt, DT Diamond Matt, DT Quick Dry Satinwood, DT Undercoat/Primer) and am really satisfied with this decision.

I sanded back the staircase to bare wood and have applied 2 coats UndercoatPrimer and 2 coats Quick Dry Satinwood so far, I'm going to hit it with one final coat of the Satinwood as you can slightly still see the darker knots.

I'm really happy with the finish, My g/f cut in everywhere with a brush and I followed up with one of the sponge type mini rollers before it had dried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back