Dulux trade supermatt dried very patchy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a nightmare! My husband is away so I thought I'd work on the "to do" list only I may have made it longer!

Last June we moved into a new build, a year later kids and life have left their marks on the magnolia walls so a freshen up is needed (and a few cracks needed filling).

The builders used dulux trade supermatt so I've got the exact same paint.

I've painted the hall and stairs and they've dried REALLY patchy.

I've left it 24 hours and done a second coat... same issue. I've tried 3 times to fix this now. I've tried using the paint neat and watered down both with the same results.

I don't know what else to do, I'd really love it to be nice for when my husband gets home on Friday but I don't know how to fix this....ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-01-01-45-50.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-01-01-45-50.png
    396.4 KB · Views: 426
Sponsored Links
All I can think is it wasnt mixed properly or enough passes with the roller made. Someone else might have some other suggestions though.

The other thing I just thought is maybe grease on the walls made the finish come out patchy. Did you clean and sand the walls prior to painting? Maybe give that a try... sand then clean or clean sand then clean again.

Sponsored Links
I think that you may have been guilty of "dry rolling". Keep the roller wet whilst working, ie put it back in the tray more often and resist the urge to go over areas where the paint has already soaked in and started to dry.

A Purdy Colossus sleeve may help. it will hold more paint, and if used properly it but won't leave an orange peel effect.

When you have a tea break, put the tray and roller in a bin bag and whilst working lightly spray it with water to stop the paint in the tray thickening.

Supermatt is easier to apply but as you have discovered, it gets dirty and stays dirty. Great for ceilings but rubbish for areas of high traffic. I would always advise my customers against using it on walls unless there was a good reason (eg damp proofing hack back render). You might want to consider standard Dulux trade matt or one of the washable options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back