Painting over Supermatt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 6-yr old house is (I think - we're not the 1st owner) painted with supermatt. It's certainly got the supermatt properties - i.e. very matt finish, washes off with a sponge!

I'm redecorating (with dulux trade diamond matt emulsion which is a little runnier than the normal vinyl matt) but painting the supermatt is like painting a sponge. So... how much should I be thinning the emulsion for painting onto Supermatt? I don't want to store up problems for the future so I'd rather do it right once than have to redo it in a couple of years.

Thanks,

Dave

PS Thanks to everyone for all the advice on this forum - its been incredibly helpful so far. One interesting thing is that I've had none of the problems mentioned on here with flashing/lifting etc. with the diamond matt emulsion - maybe its been reformulated. If anything, I find it goes on better than the normal emulsion.

Sponsored Links
I'd mist-coat, recently had a couple of extra-dry walls, the first was a nightmare, even had to sand off some of the roller marks it was drying so quickly - came up OK eventually. Second one, noticed how quickly water was being absorbed while washing down and put on a mist-coat - nae probs.

Thanks for that - did you go all the way to 50:50 dilution for your mist coat onto supermatt, or something a little less liquid?

Normally a mist coat is 25-30% water. Some emulsions are thicker than others, you want it more single cream than double cream, but get it fairly sloppy.

Generally in the trade, we'll use a non-vinyl contract matt for mist coating, its just sealing the wall so it doesn't need to look great at that stage. Also the contract matt is far cheaper - no point using the expensive stuff for misting. Quite often clients will say " I've got the paint" (ie they've had a bargain in FADS!) and I'll swap their c***p paint for something decent (which will take 2 coats rather than 3-4!) and use their stuff for mist-coating on other jobs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice - I experimented a bit and found 10% dilution (about single cream as you suggested) was enough to keep a wet edge and moved the drying time from c.5mins to about 30 mins, easily long enough to work on it.

Cheers for the help
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back