Dulux Walls & Ceilings Matt Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody used this paint and if so, have you found it to be wipeable, as claimed on the can? I have recently had 3 rooms decorated in this and I find the paint comes off if I wipe it with a damp cloth, leaving a flat area as opposed to the slightly stippled roller effect. Dulux say they haven't had any other complaints and are trying to blame the decorator, who I admit was not very good. However, I painted a square onto the inside wall of a cupboard with a brush yesterday morning, after washing the wall (no paint came off that emulsion) and letting it dry. This morning I wiped it gently with a damp cloth and there was a paint residue on the cloth. I can rub all our other matt emulsion walls throughout the house and even use a cream cleaner on a stubborn mark and no paint comes off. I really need the walls to be wipeable; my husband doesn't seem to be able to hit the light switch after getting newsprint on his hands or to go upstairs without putting his hands on the wall!

Sponsored Links
P.S. I suppose it's possible that the decorator might have added water to the remaining can, which is three quarters full, but there's no point asking him as he'd deny it. We have fallen out as I am generally dissatisfied with his work and am going to have to have some of it redone.

With the exception of the Diamond Matts most will tend to produce a kind of sheen when subjected to repeated cleaning, just because a paint system appears dry to the touch doesn't mean it is fully cured. Perhaps you are wiping the Emulsion to soon before it has fully cured.

Dec

Dec -

It's about a month since the first bit was done. How long does it take to cure? I am so stressed I may not live that long!

Sponsored Links
He was, of course, using retail paint, not trade, but if it states it's wipeable it should be wipeable. It's not a question of a sheen; the paint has just rubbed off and it looks as though we're back to the previous rubbed down paint in one place. Anyway, it's flat rather than the stippled roller finish.

It usually does that when Contract matt has been used as it has no vinyl in it. Does it feel chalky ?

Trouble is we really can't say what this chap is using what is inside the can may not truly represent what it says on the outside. I have the feeling this chap is a bit of a chancer.

Dec

Actually, he asked me to get the wall paint and to get Dulux, which I did. He certainly thinned the first coat. I asked him not to thin the second as the can says not to but I can't guarantee he didn't. We were out a lot of the time attending various hospital/clinic appointments.

He's certainly a useless decorator. The more I look at it, the more faults I see, including various bits of scrim showing on the walls, now wrinkling, with threads barely coated with paint which is now flaking off. His roller technique is appalling. I sat at the desk today and looked at the opposite wall. There is a wooden dado where the sloping ceiling joins the wall. Under the dado is a 4 inch brush stroke, with all the bristle marks, and then the stippled roller finish which is less dense. You can see a definite line from the other side of the room. I have filled 2 A4 pages with flaws/complaints. He's also left his bag of rubbish on the patio, not even where the dustbins are at the side of the house, for me to dispose of. He can whistle for the rest of his money. Ihave plenty of witnesses as to how shoddy his work is.

Well thinning the paint isn't a crime it's how much that matters, one thing is for sure this chap is no Decorator.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back