Dumping manifold off underfloor heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under floor heating a conservatory.
Could I not use the large manifold in favour of a thermostatic mixing valve to control the water temperature in the UFH?

Sponsored Links
it still needs a thermostatic valve
Yes, that's what I said I would replace it with. Plus a circulator pump I think.
Just seems like a whole load of unnecessary complications with the manifold rack?

misunderstood your post.
Yes make your own if it just has one circuit, thats what i plan to do for my lounge at home, but of course it wont have flow meters and thermostat pockets etc built in

Sponsored Links
misunderstood your post.
Yes make your own if it just has one circuit, thats what i plan to do for my lounge at home, but of course it wont have flow meters and thermostat pockets etc built in

Would this method create more firings of the boiler as the water heat is not being "recycled" through the manifold until heat has depleted?

you will have to make a manifold working the same as a supplied one but from copper tube and fittings

What size area are you trying to heat?
Danfoss supply three types of return temperature limiter for underfloor heating.

The FHV-R used in systems predominately heated by radiators.The FHV-A used in systems where low flow temperatures are available from mixing valves or boilers set to low flow temperatures where individual room control is required without the use of electrical equipment.
And finally the FJVR used in systems where several rooms are heated by UFH with one valve fitted per loop and where the rest of the system is heated by radiators.

What size area are you trying to heat?
Danfoss supply three types of return temperature limiter for underfloor heating.

The FHV-R used in systems predominately heated by radiators.The FHV-A used in systems where low flow temperatures are available from mixing valves or boilers set to low flow temperatures where individual room control is required without the use of electrical equipment.
And finally the FJVR used in systems where several rooms are heated by UFH with one valve fitted per loop and where the rest of the system is heated by radiators.

I don't get it? It limits the return temperature of the water AFTER its dumped its heat in the floor?
Surely limiting the heat FLOW is whats needed in UFH :?:

The flow temperature from the boiler may well be above 70c which is too high. Screed damage may occur if you allow this to flow through the loop unchecked and aside from that you don't need your feet cooked up like kippers.
The floor surface temperature required is usually quite low and very close to the actual room temperature.
It should be at or below 29c in all occupied areas so as to acheive an acceptable degree of foot comfort.
Lower temperature limits are sometimes required for timber floors.

The flow temperature from the boiler may well be above 70c which is too high. Screed damage may occur if you allow this to flow through the loop unchecked and aside from that you don't need your feet cooked up like kippers.
The floor surface temperature required is usually quite low and very close to the actual room temperature.
It should be at or below 29c in all occupied areas so as to acheive an acceptable degree of foot comfort.
Lower temperature limits are sometimes required for timber floors.

Still does not explain why Danfoss have made a device that limits the RETURN temperature?

I understand not many people would want to fry an egg on the living room floor! ;)

Basically the valve restricts the flow down to a level that prevents over heating.
The amount of temperature drop across the loop will not be acheived by heat transfer to the screed thus the use of the valve.
Counter flow pattern must be used with the FJVR and the FHV-R to acheive an even floor temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back