Dunelm Roller Blinds - Cutting them down to size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I feel a bit pathetic asking this on a DIY forum but I asked Dunelm Customer Service and they weren't particularly helpful. So...)

I recently purchased a Dunelm Roller Blind and am trying to cut it down to size. Unfortunately, the instructions provided are very confusing and I was wondering if you could clarify them for me?

I find the following paragraphs in the instructions particularly confusing:
"Measure the distance between the brackets at their widest point (in mm). The blind fabric then needs to be cut to this measured length minus 32mm. ... The top bar is then cut to width using a sharp hacksaw. This should be 5mm longer either side of the fabric width (The measured width minus 25mm). ... The bottom bar is then cut to width. This should be 10mm shorter than the fabric width (The measured width minus 35mm)."

Do you see what I mean? Where does 32mm come from? Where does 25mm come from? It is very unclear and I don't want to make a mess of it.

Does anyone have any experience of these blinds? Could anyone explain exactly how long these various bits have to be?[/i]

Sponsored Links
Always a problem these instructions and I tend to ignore them when fitting. The last ones I fitted (not necessarily Dunelm) I just manually measured the roller bar allowing for the end fittings, When I was sure that it worked ok, I then just cut the fabric slightly smaller to fit.

Sounds like you need the blind material 35mm shorter than the measurement between the brackets then the bar it is fixed to protruding 5mm each side of the cut blind.

I would guess that the blind as delivered has a 5mm protruding from the standard blind each side that's what you are aiming for with you cut blind.

Edit I would say the bottom bar wants to be 10mm shorter than the blind material so the ends are hidden when it is pushed in.

Always a problem these instructions and I tend to ignore them when fitting. The last ones I fitted (not necessarily Dunelm) I just manually measured the roller bar allowing for the end fittings, When I was sure that it worked ok, I then just cut the fabric slightly smaller to fit.
That's what I normally do too.
The measurements given from the instructions don't really make sense to me. They don't seem to add up. Who knows which part is right or wrong.

Sponsored Links
The fabric is cut shorter than the width to avoid binding on the walls and being damaged as it rolls up onto the pole.The pole is trimmed to fit snugly but not tightly between bracket. The 32mm measurement is either a typo or your eye sight.? :)

Brilliant. Thanks everyone. Yes, I think I'll just 'wing it' and not pay heed to the instructions.

Definitely not my eyesight, foxhole. But a typo sounds likely given how useless the rest of the instructions are!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back