Dunlop waterproofing kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of having my ensuite done and have been researching the best way to waterproof the shower area. I have found a Dunlop product that is quite a bit cheaper than the Bal equivalent:

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/dunlop/index.html

The demonstration show that the product is only applied to 1 metre height around the shower area. Does this mean you only have to tank the shower area to a height of 1m. I would have thought you would tank the shower area floor to ceiling, or is that not necessary.

Sponsored Links
You should have plenty in the pack to do higher than 1m. They only say 1m because that's where the water damage generally occurs. Personally, I apply it to head height in one coat, then go over it again with whatever is left. The 2 coat business is to ensure you haven't missed any bits. (If you look at Bal's waterproofing kit, it doesn't mention a second coat) ;)

Thanks gcol. Do you know if the tubs come in different sizes, Screwfix sell a 3Kg tub for £26 but states it only has 1m of tape which doesn't seem very much. Other sites don't state the tub or tape length at all.

If your fitting a shower tray dont forget to save some paste and tape for the edge of the tray!

I tanked all walls and used it all up, I only realised when i came to fitting in the tray!

Sponsored Links
D1nhs, yes thats what I was worried about. Screwfix stating that only 1m of tape being supplied doesn't seem right. I am fitting a 1200x800 tray so need 3m of tape just for the edge of the tray let alone the tape required for the 2 corners of the wal

Are you redoing your bath also? I bought from trades-direct.co.uk and they were doing 2 for 1. So thats 2 kits for £50 in case you are tanking your bath also.

One bucket did my whole shower 2m high, 2 walls, 2 coats

Not sure if they are still doing that offer, cant see it on their site give em a call.

Good luck

I only have a shower to do but 3 sides need to be done, so x2 800m and 1x1200mm. I've sent an e-mail to Dunlop to see if their tuns come in differnt sizes because £26 from screwfix seems like a good price even if I have to buy 2.

Hi first post on here just put in google dunliop waterproof kits to see where I can buy them from and just seen this trades-direct.co.uk place and realized that they are in my area. It doesnt look like they are still doing this deal buy 2 for £50 but you can buy 1 for £21 + vat.

It sounds good to me so I bought 1 as well as adhesive as they seem quite cheap. :eek:

Yes that seems quite cheap, screwfix are selling it for £26 all in, although there was the confusion of how much tape was supplied. I got a reply from
Dunlop with the datasheet for the product and they all come with 5m of tape, 3kg of waterproof coating and 400ml of waterproofing primer. This should be enougth to waterproof 3 sides of a shower at a height of 1m.

Oh and another thing, if you mask up areas to tank, then make sure you remove the tape while its wet.

I didnt and when peeling off the tape it lifted the waterproof stuff up too :(

I find that the tape can be cut in half as you dont need the tape at 100mm wide.

This then gives you twice as much.

Just out of interest the link points to BAL site but it's for a Dunlop product. Are they both the same company?

P.S I'm doing a shower now and will be buying the waterproof kit cheap as chips if it saves any links.... :D

Yes that seems quite cheap, screwfix are selling it for £26 all in, although there was the confusion of how much tape was supplied. I got a reply from
Dunlop with the datasheet for the product and they all come with 5m of tape, 3kg of waterproof coating and 400ml of waterproofing primer. This should be enougth to waterproof 3 sides of a shower at a height of 1m.

Is there 5m of tape in the Dunlop waterproofing kit? Screwfix are selling it for £39.95, guess it's becoming more popular and they have hiked the price up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back