Dust deputy cyclone and dust extractors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://dustdeputy.com/

I hate sanding gypsum etc because of the speed at which it clogs my dust extractors bags.

At £6 per bag one of the dust deputies ($250) looks like a worthwhile purchase.

The only thing I will miss is being able to use my Festool dust extractor as a "ladder"

Has any one tried one of these or smething similar?

Sponsored Links
Blast from the past

The knock-offs are about £15 now, and I can't see why they would be any different to the original.

I've just been reading about these, and reviews seem positive, but is anyone actually using one of these and are they good for very fine dust - plaster, filler?

Opps,
I use one on the top of a dustbin, being powered by an old vacuum. Used in workshop on Mitre Saw and other wood tools.
These are the cheap ones:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=cyclone+dust&_sacat=0
And these are people using them:
http://www.instructables.com/howto/dust+cyclone/

Pros:
Cheapish
My Bin receptacle has much much larger capacity than just having Vac.
Does seem to collect a lot of the fine dust and have been impressed by that, so less dust in Vac (although some does go through).
As less dust going through less loss of power from Vac.

Cons:
The dust receptacle has to be stronger than you would expect to be able to cope with the vacuum produced by a vac.
Most things are designed to withstand positive pressure and fail with negative.
The 5liter paint can i tried worked well until it implode with shards of plastic.
The plastic dustbin I tried was sucked inwards into a new shape.
Not small or transportable.
WOULD NOT USE DIY kit for Pharmaceutical Waste as they suggest as I feel they do not remove enough fine dust :>

Summary:
If you are 'professional', these DIY versions are not really suitable as takes time to mess around and test them and bolt them to containers and vacuum hose, etc.
Good for me to tinker with on an evening, not good when time is money.

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
big cyclone bins are used in furniture factories, usually strapped to the outside of the building with big pipes to the machines.

Sponsored Links
Blast from the past

The knock-offs are about £15 now, and I can't see why they would be any different to the original.

I've just been reading about these, and reviews seem positive, but is anyone actually using one of these and are they good for very fine dust - plaster, filler?

Buy all accounts they aren't suited to very fine dust. They work best when trying to separate larger particles in to cheaper bags. On further investigation, the fine (clogging) dust would still end up in the festool dust extractor.

Most of my work involves creating fine dust. For the occasions where I am, for example, planing a door, I can just use a reusable Festool bag.

Clogged bags still remains a problem. My older Festool dust extractors' bags are paper and just split. My newer Festool dust extractors have cloth bags, (the original bags, not the snide ones) do not split but the motor overheats and the thermal cut out kicks in.

Ironically, your reply to my 8 year old post has just just resulted in my discovering that Festool will be releasing a cyclonic add on later this year.

https://www.festool.co.uk/campaigns/microsites/ct-va

They claim that it captures up to 80% of mineral dust and 95% of coarse dust. Still not convinced that it will capture the very fine dust though...

big cyclone bins are used in furniture factories, usually strapped to the outside of the building with big pipes to the machines.

Indeed, it was them that Dyson scaled down for domestic vacuum cleaners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back