portable dust extractor recomendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

can anyone recomend a portable dust extractor that won't break the bank? Only needs to be powerful enough to cope with a circular saw / router / palm sander etc. Don't want one I have to then buy bags for! Would love a festool, BUT HOW MUCH?!

thanks!

Huey

Sponsored Links
I've got a few of the Earlex WD1000 vacs, as supplied by Machine Mart....however, Wickes do exactly the same thing much cheaper as their own brand. They also do washable filters as well as bags, and Machine Mart can supply much longer flexy hoses. A noisy machine but they last well. Cheers John

Fein make excellent dust extractors. The power take off is very useful.

You do, though, have to buy bags for them (they are a key part of the filtration system).

Sponsored Links
bought the wickes machine as recommended by john today - basic but powerful like you say. a couple of further questions if you don't mind . . . do you attach the hose directly to any power tools? The pipe diameter is exactly the same as the outlet on both my dewalt mitre saw and my festool circular saw - was wondering if a coupler was available and if so where?

also - does anyone know if an electrical adapter is available to make a basic vacuum like this behave as if its proper extractor - that is, to come on when power tool is running and stay on for a short while after to empty hose?

thanks!

Huey

this is the thing ! this specific one no use to us as it's US style plugs (plus it sounds very badly built). can anyone shed any light on the inner workings of such a device as I'd like to have a go at building my own . . .

thanks
Huey

:LOL:

been working with a mate who is the proud owner of two festool extractors - no longer working with him so back to thinking about how to extract dust without sucking the wallet dry . . .

Hi

Sorry for jumping on board of your post. I am thinking of buying the Festool Midi dust extractor ( http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=580429&name=festool+dust&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44 )
and was wondering if anyone had any experience using it.

Basically is it worth the money or at this price range are there other ones which are better or cheaper ones like the Makita one ( http://www.axminster.co.uk/product....+dust+extractor&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44 ) which are just as good.

Thank you for your help!

Zigs

The only good reason to filter dust collected is to avoid heat loss if it's winter or to open your wallet to the company that made your dust collector by shelling out for filters every time you turn around.

Duct it outdoors.

I live in the US in Michigan so I feel your pain. Home heating loss is an issue, but I'm only an occasional user of dust collection so it's negligible.
Also, dust collecton for DIY level woodworking typically uses higher vacuum pressure and lower CFM, opposite what an industrial shop would use. So venting it outdoors is not that big a heat loss with a small "diy" vacuum like we are discussing here.

I've got a 99USD Rigid brand shop vac under the workbench. I replaced the paper filter...
41MGXC1Z94L.jpg

with the smallest mesh waste basket from an office supply for about five bucks.

SEWYI_1787_T_Round_Waste_I.jpg

I plumbed the exhaust outdoors with 2inch PVC drain pipe. I went through the bricks but replacing a window with plexiglass and going through that would be easier. I use this for venting a hood for spray painting, for general shop cleanup, and for dust control on all my powertools that have dust attachments such as circular saws, orbital sanders, etc. The fine dust goes outdoors and the remainder needs to emptied about once a month (for my use). Another huge benefit of ditching the paper filter is that suction performance is always 100percent with the wire mesh filter.

I put this together about 10 years ago and it's seen a LOT of use. Last year I took the motor/impeller apart to check the commutator brushes and the featherweight aluminum impeller for wear and they were in excellent shape. The impeller just passes the fine stuff right on through. And five dollars for a 10 year (and counting) filter is not a bad deal.

For outdoors I similarly have a little shop vac from a garage sale on which I replaced the silly paper with fine wire mesh. I use this for orbital sanding outdoor projects. About ten feet of suction hose enables me to put the vac far enough away to eliminate dust around me so that I don't even need a mask. I love the way modern orbital sanders with dust attachments keep the sandpaper completely free of buildup. I also can use this smaller vac with an exhaust hose attached for use "on site". I can use it in any room to work and simply drop the hose out of a window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back