Dylux Weathershield - how many coats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished painting the pebbledash rendering of my house with Dulux Weathershield. The instructions recommend 2 coats, which is what I have given it, but the first coat was thinned by about 20% as the original surface was very porous. Can I include this as one of the coats or does it require a third coat. It looks fine and I don't really want to do it again if I don't need to as it takes two days and costs about £100 in paint. On the other hand I want to be sure it has been done correctly.

Sponsored Links
If it looks fine as you say, then there's no point in wasting more time and money on it.
Did a new render a short while ago with Dulux weathershield in 2 coats. It covered excellent but I have the practice of applying a good coat..(I don't skimp).

I gree with growler ...

It says on tin anyway that on sound prev coated, one coat should suffice..

or used to :confused:

You dont need to thin exterior paint such as Weathershield as you would interior emulsion. if you have you'll probably need more than two coats

Sponsored Links
Looking at the long range forecast, I think the weather is going to have the deciding vote on this one. :(

HeHe..you could be right..Thank God Sept was dry , I got all my exterior contracts sorted out in the last 4 weeks :p

I've just finished painting the pebbledash rendering of my house with Dulux Weathershield. The instructions recommend 2 coats, which is what I have given it, but the first coat was thinned by about 20% as the original surface was very porous. Can I include this as one of the coats or does it require a third coat. It looks fine and I don't really want to do it again if I don't need to as it takes two days and costs about £100 in paint. On the other hand I want to be sure it has been done correctly.

the amount of exterior paint you need to paint a house depends on how textured the exterior wall surface is, so 20m2 of smooth render is a LOT less than 20 m2 of pebbledash which with all its bumps, pits, holes and sharp edges, works out a lot more if you see my point.

personally i would have treated the whole wall area 1st with a cement wash, known in the wall coating trade as "bagging" (no idea why though :confused: ) which , if you mix unibond in with it, covers the small holes, plus ensures the stones stay stuck to the wall.

Then 2 good coats of exterior masonry paint and you should be away, but if you have already painted theres not much you can do, but i would use THREE coats on it, not 2.

You can thin the paint if is very hot and the surface is rough

yes, after about 6 coats of paint!!!!!!!!!

If the wall is NOT prepared correctly, you will be there forever and the finished job will ultimately look cr**, sorry!!!!!!!!

Eventually did 3 coats with the first thinned by 20%. Looked OK with 2 coats, but the third made it look even better. Now I'm just waiting for the scaffolding to be removed so I can see the full effect. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back