Dynamic Heating Balancing

As long as the main flow/return are 22mm or greater then not a big deal IMO but if using say 15mm then a different matter.

Sponsored Links
I have a nine radiator system, with TRV's on all but the hall rad, where the wireless thermostat is located. I have never, ever balanced them, they have always everyone one, got hot enough, even before I added TRV's. Now with TRV's fitted, I think I have even less reason to bother balancing them, because even if they were balanced, the balancing would only limit the maximum flow, whilst the TRV was wide open. Once the TRV begins to be satisfied, begins to close, the balancing makes little or no difference, in my view.
I thought one of the advantages of balancing a system was so that the temperature drop across all rads was equal so the boiler wouldn't have to work as hard and hence use less gas.

It's main purpose is to ensure that all rads get their desired flowrate, especially ones on the end of a long run with small diameter pipework, also for rads of different outputs , a 1kw rad requires a flowrate of 1LPM to give a dT of 15C, a 2kw rad requires 2LPM, more important IMO with no TRVs installed and roomperature controlled by roomstats and maybe outside temperature compensation.

It's main purpose is to ensure that all rads get their desired flowrate, especially ones on the end of a long run with small diameter pipework, also for rads of different outputs , a 1kw rad requires a flowrate of 1LPM to give a dT of 15C, a 2kw rad requires 2LPM, more important IMO with no TRVs installed and roomperature controlled by roomstats and maybe outside temperature compensation.

I have a well-designed system, all radiators get heat through as soon as the boiler comes on and balancing goes out the window anyway, just as soon as the TRV's begin to close. So, at least as far as my system is concerned, I think balancing would be pointless.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the rads really should be balanced, I have two zones with 5 rads/zone but one zone only normally on, so after the heating has been on for around 1.5 hrs in the morning the TRvs take over for the remaining 13/14 hours that my heating is enabled.

View attachment 290618
So is the Heat Geek article basically saying that balancing is not really needed in most homes unless the heating system is particularly large. At odds with all the other info I have seen online.

Last edited:
So is the Heat Geek article basically saying that balancing is not really needed in most homes unless the heating system is particularly large. At odds with all the other info I have seen online.

The way I see it, is that balance is much more necessary on a troublesome system, where system pipe layout has been an issue, rather than simply being a matter of size. Obviously, the larger the size, the more difficult to both get an equal flow and to balance accurately. With TRV's fitted, then balance is only important and can make a difference, when the system is first switched on - assuming the radiators are adequately sized for their rooms, and the TRV's are set for less than max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back