Dyson dc11 (all floors) Carbon Brushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with where to get replacement carbon brushes from.
Spoke to one supplier of spares and he said i have to buy a complete motor, as he has no trust in the replacement product as they are not genuine Dyson parts. He said i'll find something on the net but i cant find ****! The only brushes i can find have no plastic casing for easy fix, if u know what i mean? They just come bare! 2 brushes , 2 springs and no unit they go in.

If anyone understands any of the above please help asap

Thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links
Bare brushes is how the dyson ones come. Dyson can provide brushes for certain models but they dont have a holder.
To be honest their motors are cheaply made in china and I have had 4 in the last month where the motors have been written off due to the origional fitted carbon brushes sticking in the holders and arcing on the commutator, thats out of the 10 dysons I have had in this month.
You have to be a bit careful when replacing the brushes, make sure the commutators is ok as well and that the brushes move easily in the holders.

I have had a go recently using bare brushes,wet n dry and a soldering iron.
I have changed brushes many times on washing machines but the time and effort I have put in on two Dyson motors
(DC04/07/14) has to put it bluntly been a challenge and probably a waste of time.
Run for a short time and then the arcing and sparking...despite thorough cleaning and a good clean and polished commutator.

I have even tried bedding the brushes in for a few hours at lower voltage.

Bite the bullet and buy a new motor -they are pretty cheap in comparison.

An alternative may be to buy a parts machine with a good motor-replacement brushes may work well with one that hasnt been too stressed
as they must easily suffer damage imho

Sponsored Links
Thanks to Leccy758 & Cjapeteborough for the advice, much appreciated.
I know how much of a nightmare motors and brushes can be, as when ive changed them on Dewalt drills, ive come accross the same problem, where i just keep on getting arcing problems. The communicators are so temprementle, any little scrape or wear, you can fiddle on with them all day and still not be right

Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back