Hoover carbon brushes: how to release the carbons ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Following my post of last week, I have just received the spare brushes for my washing machine and fitted them.

Their model is the following:
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/washing-...h=45786&refine=carbon+brush&model_ref=1480063

The brushes are in a plastic holder that holds the carbons retracted and I don't know how to release them so that they are in contact with the motor innards. Any help/advise will be much appreciated :)

I am playing with the old ones to see if I can find a way to block/unblock the carbons but I cannot see anything obvious.

Best wishes,

Anne-Marie

Sponsored Links
When ordering the new ones, they come with the complete fitting (plastic holder and carbon brush). But the carbon brush is held inside the plastic holder and does not come out. I cannot see any releasing feature such as a plastic or metal tag. Maybe the brush will come out automatically once I plug the washing machine ?

I will try to contact Hoover. Not sure they will accept to guide me, but it's worth trying.

Anne-Marie

Why can't you change the plastic fitting?

Also have you tried to find a 'fitting guide on youtube'?

Andy

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought. My phonecall to Hoover was useless. I was told that if I buy the parts, I am assumed to know how to use them. Otherwise I need to call an engineer ... for £119. They won't tell me over the phone how to release the carbon brushes. Fair enough. It was worth asking.

Anne-Marie

Playing with and looking at the old brushes and the new ones, I have eventually found out: for those particular brushes, you need to open the plastic holder. Around the brush, there is a metal frame, with a little tag on the side holding the carbon brush. With a small screwdriver, you just have to lift very gently this little tag to release the brush, then put back the plastic sourround and the brush ready to be fitted on the motor :)

Pfeww ! I was so worried I may break it, but it works. I will test the washing machine tonight.

Thank you to those who have read and replied :)

Best wishes,

Anne-Marie

WOW so many videos that's impressive ! Thank you Andy :D

I have now changed the brushes, refitted and rebolted the motor. The trickiest part was to put back the belt. I have tested the fast spin with an empty drum, but no luck. The pump is pumping but the fast spin won't start.

I am now testing the washing machine on a full wash with a few clothes in. The drum is spinning alternatively in both direction. Everything seems in order but I am not expecting it to fast spin at the end of the wash. I will know for sure in about 30 minutes.

Anne-Marie

Update: the wash cycle went fine except the fast spin at the end. I decided to go for the pump ... and of course flooded the kitchen ! I have found a rusty 50 pence coin in the pipe feeding the pump, just at the entrance of the pump (could it be it ? it's nearly the diametre of the pipe and pump connector ...) but I am not strong enough to unclip the out pipe, even with pliers. The difficulty with the old Hoover machines is that the pump is bolted at the very bottom making it very difficult to access and service. I will check if I can open the pump without removing it from its place. If no, I will have to tilt the machine to unbolt the pump but will need help from my neighbour to do that. Will keep you informed.
Best wishes,

Anne-Marie

Thanks for coming back with an update. I would think that now the coin has been removed and new brushes fitted, the machine should be as good as new.

Do a normal wash and see what happens.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back