HOOVER washing machine SE220 - 12 years old - no fast spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Hoover SE220 washing machine, which is over 12 years old. It washes perfectly fine, but the drum doesn't fast spin anymore at the end of a wash, even with an empty drum. The water doesn't stay in the machine, so it is not blocked. I have checked at the back of the machine: I couldn't find any filtre (does this model have one ?) and the belt seems fine. Looking onto the internet, it seems that this problem may come from the carbon brushes, that may be worn out and would need to be replaced. I was quoted £129 by Hoover in Bristol for fixing it (labour and parts), which is quite a bit of money to spend on an old but good washing machine. I am wondering if it is a job I could try to do myself, is it worth to try to fix my washing machine (regarding its age) or should I start looking around for a new one ?
If I change the brushes myself, does anyone know where I can download information on how to do it ?
Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Best wishes,

Anne-Marie

Sponsored Links
I think there's a very good chance that the brushes are worn out, and I'm also sure that you tube will come to your rescue.....
If the motor is at the top of the machine (lid off, obviously) its much easier than tipping the machine on its side!
On some machines the motor has to be unbolted, on others the brushes can be done in situ.
Often the brushes come in a plastic holder that holds the carbons retracted - after fitting a slight twist of a metal tag releases them to contact the motor innards.
John :)

Hello John,

a big thank you for your reply. I have found a video showing how to remove the motor and change the brushes (http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washing-machines/hoover/p/1085/107/0/0/101500/washing-machine-carbon-br.html). That's helping a lot :)

The motor of my machine is at its bottom and the brushes are not directly accessible from the back :( I have two options: either to tilt the machine on its side or to unbolt the motor and put it back after having changed the brushes. Unbolting the motor seems to be the easiest (no water pipe to unplug and replug plus no risk of the machine falling).

I have just ordered the brushes. Will have to wait for them to arrive. I will keep you posted.

Thank you again for your help.

Best wishes,

Anne-Marie :)

Hello John,

I have just received, at last, the spare brushes (the old ones had 1 cm of carbon left). I have fitted them, checking they were correctly oriented and have reconnected the wires. The 'armature' inside the motor is turning nicely (by hand).

As you said, the brushes came in a plastic holder that holds the carbons retracted. I don't know how to release them to make sure they are in contact with the motor innards. In your message, you said to fit them first. That's done. But I cannot see any metal tag :( Here are the carbon brushes for my washing machine:
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/washing-...h=45786&refine=carbon+brush&model_ref=1480063

I am playing with the old ones to see if I can find a way to block/unblock the carbons.

Best wishes,

Anne-Marie

Sponsored Links
Playing with and looking at the old brushes and the new ones, I have eventually found out: for those particular brushes, you need to open the plastic holder. Around the brush, there is a metal frame, with a little tag on the side holding the carbon brush. With a small screwdriver, you just have to lift very gently this little tag to release the brush, then put back the plastic sourround and the brush is ready to be fitted on the motor :)

Pfeww ! I was so worried I may break it, but it is now released. I will test the washing machine tonight.

Anne-Marie :)

Hello again,

I have changed the carbon brushes, although the old ones had 1 cm left, rebolted the motor, refitted the belt and just tried the machine with an empty drum for the spin: no luck :( One can hear the pump pumping but the fast spin won't start :( It seems that the problem comes from something else than the carbon brushes but I have absolutely no clue from where :( I am trying to find a technical manual on the internet, at least a schematic of the inside of the washing machine, but no luck so far.

Best wishes,

Anne-Marie

Update: the wash cycle went fine except the fast spin at the end. I decided to go for the pump ... and of course flooded the kitchen ! I have found a rusty 50 pence coin in the pipe feeding the pump, just at the entrance of the pump (could it be it ? it's nearly the diametre of the pipe and pump connector ...) but I am not strong enough to unclip the out pipe, even with pliers. The difficulty with the old Hoover machines is that the pump is bolted at the very bottom making it very difficult to access and service. I will check if I can open the pump without removing it from its place. If no, I will have to tilt the machine to unbolt the pump but will need help from my neighbour to do that. Will keep you informed.
Best wishes,

Anne-Marie

Sorry I can't help resolve your problem, but I wanted to say I have to admire your determination. Unusual to hear of such a spirited lady. (around here anyway). Good luck, I really hope you succeed in repairing your machine.
PS. I definitely do not intend this in a patronising way.

Have you tried it on spin since getting the water out? In most cases you can get nearly all the water out before dismantling the pump plumbing by just disconnecting the waste hose from the house plumbing and putting it into a bucket at floor level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back