E-mails from courier companies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have, for quite a time now, been getting e-mails proportedly from courier companies, saying that they are having trouble delivering a package & for me to download an attachment to the e-mail for further info.. As they are usually delivered to my spam box I delete them without even opening them, but occasionally they get into my inbox & if I am expecting delivery of something bought on the internet then I am more tempted. Although I am pretty sure they are up to no good, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the scam is? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Courier companies don't send attachments. There's no need for them to. The file is a virus.

its a trojan that went around a few years ago - Trojan.Bredolab - back then it said it was instructions on how to reset your facebook password.

its a trojan that went around a few years ago - Trojan.Bredolab - back then it said it was instructions on how to reset your facebook password.

There's no one trojan or virus which is involved. There are many hundreds, if not thousands.

Sponsored Links
Scam could be to make you call them for redelivery - phone number normally very, very expensive.

Beg to differ, knowing how many fall for this trick.

It's not always technology, it's preying on the gullibility of some punters

Beg to differ, knowing how many fall for this trick.

It's not always technology, it's preying on the gullibility of some punters

A handful of phonecalls vs tens of thousands of computers in a botnet. Which can cripple entire corporate networks. I know where the money is.

I'm sure you do, but that does not mean that it ALWAYS has to be a scam to break into your computer.
Get some perspective please

Definitely a SCAM. The attachment undoubtedly contains a virus of sorts. Can you scan the attachment with your antivirus program? If in doubt at all delete the email as soon as it's delivered.

Courier companies don't send attachments. There's no need for them to. The file is a virus.

If it comes with a zip file, 99.995% of the time, it will be a trojan..
Courier companies do sent attachments, perhaps not to you but we frequently receive attachments from our couriers.

Who talked about a zip file?

Sure you know your stuff about Trojans etc, but where I object to in your replies is the stubbornish of not accepting it could very well be something else. Suppose you think you're always right?

Definitely a SCAM. The attachment undoubtedly contains a virus of sorts. Can you scan the attachment with your antivirus program? If in doubt at all delete the email as soon as it's delivered.
How often do you receive an email from Paypal or a bank with an attachment? A PDF or html page as attachment where you are asked to fill in your credit card details etc to unblock your account. A scam

NOT all attachments are viruses of sorts. check the extension of the file. Better still: if you don't trust the source, don't open the attachment.

If it comes with a zip file, 99.995% of the time, it will be a trojan..
Courier companies do sent attachments, perhaps not to you but we frequently receive attachments from our couriers.

Who talked about a zip file?

Sure you know your stuff about Trojans etc, but where I object to in your replies is the stubbornish of not accepting it could very well be something else. Suppose you think you're always right?

Oh, it could be something else, sure. But if the attachment isn't a pdf, it's generally a zip. And that almost always means virus. And I've yet to see any other form of scam in the fifty thousand or more emails I've filtered out.

I don't dispute that, but at the other hand I do get scam attachments that are neither PDF's or zip. Scams so-called coming from Paypal or banks carry a HTML page attachment with them, sure you've encountered those?

Sponsored Links
Back