Earth against garage wall, damp inside, but for 40 years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've just moved into a 70s property with detached garage built of twin brick thick walls.

The sloping driveway alongside the garage has had an earth hedging bed between it and my garage wall for last 40 years, and its about 6 bricks high, with no obvious DPC. The bed is full of that very prickly hedging. Ouch!

The inside wall of the garage is pretty wet, but only shows damp signs when i stupidly stack a cardboard box against it. There is no water on the floor

Given the garage hasnt fallen down in 40 years and there is no flaking of the brickwork, should i be concerned please?

I want to reroof the garage, but if a wall needs attention first, then it makes sense to hold on the roof.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
it's a garage !! Circulating air keeps the inner skin dry but placing obstructions to hinder air-flow prevents this self-drying action. You have three choices
a) ignore
b) dig outside clear, tank outer wall, back-fill
c) tank inner wall

"tanking" is the application of a waterproof membrane - usually an air-drying rubber-like thick (black) liquid

Thanks Jack, i'm not bothered about the damp wall so long as it doesnt do any lasting damage. Choice A sounds a winner, i'll just let the wall air :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back