Earth Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved and had a PIR done to see what the state of the wiring is. It came out as unsatisfactory with 3 fairly straight forward problems to resolve before it can be signed off.
One was lack of earth bonding to the water supply. So I've run 1mm earth cable from the water pipe coming into the property to the earth block next to the Consumer Unit. The earth block's only 4-way and there were already 4 earth wires attaching to it from the top so I've looped the new one under so it slots in from the bottom below one of teh otehrs that I've had to pull out a bit to make room.
My question is is this acceptable, or will the electrician say i need to swap it for an 8-way block?

Sponsored Links
1mm earth ?
not big enough
10mm would be better
yep, i would stick an 8 way earth block in as standard

(and yep i do know what i am doing)

or you could just ask the sparks who did the PIR ?
that would be easier.
as he/she has to sign it off anyway, i don't like going to installations done by others as you never know how things have been done,

seek his / her advice first, less financial pain later

I hope your not removing other earth cables without tracing back and confirming that they are redundant.

If yours is an older system with a few different fuse boxes rather than 1 x board then each should have an earth link to the MET.

Both gas and water need bonding in 10 mm sq, an 8w MET block would be best. Then if / when you get a main board then the new 8w MET will have an over-sized hole for the 16mm earth feed to CU.

Any wholesaler will have them.

On the gas you need to be within 600mm of the customer side of the meter, if the meter is outside then the clamp should be a outside type.

On the water same, but within 600mm of the main stop cock. If either services are plastic, then don't bother.

or you could just ask the sparks who did the PIR ?
that would be easier.
as he/she has to sign it off anyway, i don't like going to installations done by others as you never know how things have been done,

seek his / her advice first, less financial pain later

what exactly do you think is being signed off?

you must be struggling for work if you only do work on your installations.

Sponsored Links
i hope the "1mm" was a typo and you really mean "10mm"

10mm = good, 1mm = bad :)

8 way blocks are no more than 2 or 3 quid (can get them from screwfix) why not just swap it and be certain - or just ask the electrician who did the PIR for his recommendation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back