Earthing..confirmation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a question regarding eathing.
I have two cosumer units about 3 feet apart one for a loft coversion 2 way and a 4 way for the ground and first floor

It is earthed as follows.

main earth from loft consumer unit is 10mm and connected to main earthing teminal block.
Main earth from ground and first floor consumer unit 16mm connected to the same 16 way earthing terminal block.
From suppliers tn-s sheath clamp connected to main 16 way earthing terminal block in 16mm.
Also on main earth terminal block are 10mm gas bond and a 10 mm water bond.

Is this correct arrangement?

In case of corrosion of the armoured sheath clamp would it be bad practice to fit an additional earth to 16 way earth terminal. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Although you have 2 consumer units, assuming they are both fed via Henley blocks the earthing arrangements should be done as if they were one.

The 10mm should be up-graded to 16mm to the MET if your supply is 100A.

You can't go adding earth clamps to the supply cable, that's a job for the DNO.

If you're worried about corrosion you could ask for a PME conversion.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the fast reply

Yes the consumer units are both fed by henly blocks.

The recent wiring and consumer was inspected and tested by certified electrician who provided a report to the local council and electrical body.

I would assume that the main earth terminal would have been checked and metered as part of this inspection.

the old main earth bond consisted of a green 6mm wire that was wrapped around one of the screws on the main body of the incomming supply so the situation now must be safer.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back