Extending a met earthing block

Is there any reason a so called 8 way block cant be used for up to 16 entries, after all a dist board earth bar usually only has 1 screw per conductor
I thought someone might say that. Personally, I'm one of those still mourning the disappearance of Wylex Standard CUs, with two screws for every conductor, so I jump at the opportunity to perpetuate that practice with earth blocks - but, yes, I suppose one could use all 16 'entries' - and that would still probably be much better than one of those piddly modern CU earth bars!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am pleased that I have introduced a topic that could easily effect every home owner sooner or later as the ever increasing quantity of useful electrical equipment is forced upon us by invention and progress, and I thank my fellow members for their contributions confirming the solution and adding further alternative methods of solving the problem.
Regards,
Jim.

I don't think that sooner or later every homeowner is going to have more than a total of 7 CUs and incoming services to bond, no matter how many useful electrical things they have. People like JohnW2 are an exception.

Have run out of connection points for earth termination at the MET.
How?

I don't think that sooner or later every homeowner is going to have more than a total of 7 CUs and incoming services to bond, no matter how many useful electrical things they have. People like JohnW2 are an exception.
That is certainly true. I've explained why I am in this particularly exceptional situation (and it's primarily a matter of the size and history of the property, not the number of 'useful electrical things' I have! ... compounded by there being two CPCs per submain, as explained) - but, like you, I'd be interested to know why the OP has also 'run out of connection points' in his 8-way earth block. As you say, this must be a very rare situation in a domestic setting.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

OK - it's not cheap, and you'd have to crimp eyelets to the cables, but it looks cool.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

OK - it's not cheap, and you'd have to crimp eyelets to the cables, but it looks cool.
Hmmm. It may look cool - but, as you say, it's not cheap. Nor is it small, and the introduction of crimped joints (particularly to eyelets with M10 holes) probably introduces at least as many electrical uncertainties (trivial though they are) than linking two (small and cheap) 8-way blocks with a 16mm² conductor having 2 screws per block!

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Oh come on - it's almost a thing of beauty - a bit of extra work is a small price to pay.

Thinking again about the earth bars from CUs, you could always bolt 2 together which would give you your 2 screws per conductor.

Oh come on - it's almost a thing of beauty - a bit of extra work is a small price to pay.
I have agreed that it would look cool.
Thinking again about the earth bars from CUs, you could always bolt 2 together which would give you your 2 screws per conductor.
One could, but:
(a)...I remain unsure whether one can get 10mm², let alone 16mm² conductors into many of the holes of a lot of them.
(b)...As Bernard (I think) has pointed out, there's not much metal left in those bars by the time they've drilled all the holes.
(c)...Unless one has old CUs to cannibalise (or goes to flea bay), those things can be (or, at least, were - last time I looked) surprisingly difficult to source.
(d)...Above all, I see no advantage (and a good few disadvantages) in comparison with two linked proper 8-way earth blocks.

Kind Regards, John

Merlin-Gerin MGxxEE where xx is 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 56 or 72.

Widely available, including eBay.

25mm² capacity holes.

200A rating.

Or if you want 2 screws per conductor, maybe these people would stick one in the post to you:

I don't have a CEF account, but being as this is proteus, cant be that expensive!http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/46371-12-way-switchroom-earth-bar-with-removable-test-link
Thanks. Apart from probably being cheaper, all the comments I made about BAS's (admittedly 'beautiful') one. In addition, whilst I can'ts peak for the OP, 12-way would not be enough for me.

Kind Regards, John

ban-all-sheds said:
Or if you want 2 screws per conductor, maybe these people would stick one in the post to you:
Thanks. That would be ideal, but the postage from Australia might be a bit steep! However, as I keep saying, I'm personally perfectly happy with what I've got!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back