Main Earth Terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have a big earth wire going into the service head with the neutral and a couple of loose strands stuffed in the side which connect to the old CU.

However i have a new CU located somewhere else with a 16mm Earth supplying it. There is no way that a 16mm earth will be squashed into the service head with the main earth.

I am wondering what to do? Is it best to connect the main earth to a nickel plated block then run a single 16mm earth into the service head(with the neutral), and then connect my other 16mm earths to this block?

or should i get the electric company out to provide me with a proper MET that i can connect into.

I am also not sure is via the neutral and the big earth wire is supplementary, or is infact the only earth

Cheers
Adrian

Sponsored Links
Normal practice is to have a 16mm cable from the head to a MET (earthing conductor), then connect all the protective conductors to there.

As the head is property of the DNO only they should connect anything to it.

thanks spark123 ,So are you saying i should get the dno out to provide me with a proper earth that i can connect everything to?

Cheers
A

Possibly, I don't like the sound of the piece of wire stuffed in with the neutral. Can you upload some photos?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately i have no phone or camera with a photo, lost the last phone off a ladder, didnt bounce to well, and no parachute fitted as standard ;)

I have tried to sketch something up instead.

Inside the head is one big connecting block....

hope this helps.

Cheers

Not sure without a piccy of the cutout - when the earth and neutral are combined at the cutout it is a TN-CS supply which needs to be sized correctly, you then have a wire heading away? Can you do the earths in green!

Apologies colours now corrected.

The idea was there is no room in the service head to get two wires, so take the seperate earth cable ( coming from the ground). Stick that into a earth block.

www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/59/p1678259_l.jpg

Then put a 16mm earth into the service head and back to the block. And then connect any other earths to the block..

the earth and neutral are connected in the cut out.

sorry about the lack of photos.

A

Hmmmm - is beginning to sound like TT with a DIY TN-CS conversion.
Firstly you need to determine wether or not your electricity supply is safe for use as a TN-CS - you'll need to contact your DNO.

Cheers sparks, will get onto them.

I had the DNO round to change the meter, he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said it was fine.

will get them back round for a closer look.

Cheers
A

Hi Spark123,

Just to let you know, i contacted my DNO, and they have said that i am on a loop supply. And the advised to remove the earth from the neutral, as if their neutral fails everybody on the loop will be trying to use me earth as a neutral.

Another possible arrangement for the wiki.

So as you said a diy bodge..

Cheers A.

Adrian80 said:
Just to let you know, i contacted my DNO, and they have said that i am on a loop supply. And the advised to remove the earth from the neutral, as if their neutral fails everybody on the loop will be trying to use me earth as a neutral.
I hope they sent someone out to have a look. :LOL:

Did they eck..... Started off with some bird on the phone, then she didnt get it, so got a man on the job, who said it was in a loop, and they wouldnt upgrade the supply to PME unless everyone on the loop upgraded the supply.

And there is no way thats going to happen. The two people on the same loop are retired, and i dont think they are going to start digging up their floors for something that has been working for the last 50- years.

so it looks like the earth spike is going to have to do....

A

Sounds like you've been fobbed off! It's plausible that the bloke on the phone knew how your service head is installed but not that llikely. I'm suprised he told you to start removing cables though. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back