Earth Bonding in a block of flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am ina 200 year old building split into 4 flats. The mains services come in through the communal cellar. The incoming electric supply has a large cable split into 4 fuses which then feed the four flats individually.

Qestion 1 - The earth from this area goes into a large henley block. Is it within regs to bond the gas and water supplies to this earth rather than trace it up through the buidling and into the CU?

Question 2 - The meter for the flat is in the flat its-self. The old fuse board at the moment doesn't seem to have an earth connection but there is evidence of a sheath clamp just below the meter. Should I try to run a 16mm earth cable back to the Henley block in the basement or call in the supplier?

Sponsored Links
Thank B

What about the bonding? With it beinga communal set up the mains incomers are downstairs in the cellar which is quite a way from the CU. Is it within regs to eq bond to the main incoming earth rather than the CU?

I've never come across this type of set up before. Most of my work has been on houses.

Sponsored Links
There must be someone along in a minute who's familar with this problem, but I look at it as two separate points:

Within each flat you have an installation, so I'd expect each flat to have its CU and MET, and to bond the incoming services within that flat (not relying on anyone else to do it).

And within the cellar, I'd expect the landlord to main-bond from the incoming electical service to the incoming gas and water where they enter the building.

Is the cellar the landlord's, communal use by all tenants, or one of the tenants?

Yep - with JohnD here.

Rare for DNO to put meters in the flats these days - they prefer a communal point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back