earth bonding.in bathroom - routing of cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Route of earth cable

I intend to upgrade supplemenatry bonding in bathroom. Pipes are no problem but downflow heater, towel rail and shaver socket are on 3 different walls. The downflow heater is installed at over 6 foot high and the shaver socket is about 4 foot.

I know that I bond from the cpc to pipework for electrical equipment but I will have to chase down walls in order do this.

Does this earth wire have to be mechanically protected in some way as the path will not be obvious/follow IEE regs for live main cable. No one is going to be immediately harmed if this wire is breached in some way but the whole purpose of the protection would be lost.

If not mechanically protected -
connections have to be accessible but can I route cable behind skirting board/architrave :?:

Can I wire from one cpc to another then wire to pipework :?:

Do I include lighting circuit in this if it is over 2.5 metres high :?:

I have some 10mm earthing cable - there is a minimum size for various cables and 10mm may be over the top, but is it ok to use :?:

appreciate any comments

Sponsored Links
10mm cable is fine.

yes cable must be mechanicaly protected

you are suposed to have "one continious cable" for connecting all pipe work etc, so yes you can

dont worry about the lights becasue for a bathroom they should be "electrically isolated" anyway (cant think of right description)

Yet another earth bonding question

We are doing a very modern swish bathroom but the earth bonding connectors available are those large ones with the ally tag on them and the horrible green/yellow cable...

Can you use small jubilee clips or motor fuel line clamps or must they be the horrible ones [assuming good connection can be made]

TIA [breezer is a model of succinct explanation!!]

tt

as you said assuming good connection can be made that is the problem,

but there is a new "type of clamp" available see here

and there is nothing wrong with green and yellow coloured cable its a wonderfull colour :cool:

Sponsored Links
assuming good connection can be made that is the problem,

but there is a new "type of clamp" available see here

I Think These New Clamps Will Have a Higher Contact Resistance Between The Cable & The Pipework,

10mm........you'll be lucky......ever tried getting 10mm into some of the electrical accessorie terminals (lighting for example) and then you want to keep it continuious....hmmmm........let me know how you get on :LOL:

If you untwist the strands and "fan" them around the pipe??

But is it legal to use a jubilee clip or must you, legally, use the horrible one with the large tag attached??

tt.

Use a proper earth clamp......its designed to provide a decent connection to the pipe work, it also comes with the safety warning label aswell, which a jubilee clip does not........

Yeah, I know the horrible ones with the ally tag are designed for the purpose but is it a LEGAL requirement that they are used, or is the LEGAL requirement that the earth bonding is in place with good electrical contact??

tt

IT IS a legal requirement that they have the TAG on so even if you use something else you still MUST have the tag, so you get noware by changing the clip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back