Another one - wiring in a shaver light (bathroom)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted some advice really - I need to wire in a shaver light into the bathroom - it only has a neutral and live and says it must not be earthed.
What cable should I go out and buy - 2 core 1mm without earth perhaps? If I use a cable with earth what should I do - clip it off at the end? The light runs two 40w bulbs and a shaver socket. It will be wired into a plug socket in the loft- what fuse size should I be using 13amp or 3amp?

Sponsored Links
What circuit are you planning to connect it to. (lighting is good). The cable should be the same as is used in the existing circuit. For lighting that might be 1.0 or 1.5mm^2.

Umm, ok just read some more. What do you mean wired into a plug socket. Do you mean connected to a plug which is plugged into a socket? Or the cable connected directly with the wires at the back? However it is done, if this is powered by a socket circuit, it needs a 3A fuse.

The flash way would be to wire in a switch plate with built in fuse powered by a cable from the socket circuit. If the socket in the attick is already a spur from a downstairs ring, then you are not allowed to add a further spur from it, like this. In that case, I guess putting it on a plug would be compliant, but tacky.

Like I said, If you can take power from the lighting circuit. This will probably already have a 5A fuse (check this!) so no more is needed.

Always use a cable which includes an earth. If you do not need it at the end, then it should be insulated so it can not touch any other wire/metalwork. But I fancy the backing box on the shaver socket should be earthed.

And of course, electrical fittings in a bathroom should all have supplementary bonding.

I am basically planning on wiring a plug onto the end of the flex from the light - there is currently a shaver socket in the bacthroom and this is actually wired in to a plug that goes into a socket which is in the loft.

This would be the easiest (albeit tacky way for me to do it). The light specifies that it should NOT be earthed for some reason. It also has a plastic surround and backing plate and there is no earthing terminal anywhere. Shall I just by a 1.0mm flex with no earth and use a 3 amp plug?

if I do buy 2 core wiring (no earth) do I need to buy a plug that has a plastic earth pin or is this irrelevant - shall I leave the earth unconnected in both the plug and the shaver?

Sponsored Links
Use 3 amp fuse. use a flex with earth and insulate earth at fitting end.

Damocles said:
Use 3 amp fuse. use a flex with earth and insulate earth at fitting end.

As I will be using a 3 amp fuse - is it okay to use 1mm 3 core flex or should I use smaller flex 0.5mm?> I was planning on using 1mm as I have some spare.
I know that the current rating on 1mm is 10 amp but dont know if this means up to 10amp.

I must be sounding extremely thick, but I wanted to make sure that I dont start blowing fuses!

1mm will be fine

it is fine to use oversized cables on an install (provided ofc you can get them into the terminals but that won't be a problem here)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back