Dual Fuel Towel Warmer Supplementary Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the middle of an ongoing ensuite upgrade. I am fitting a Dual Fuel towel warmer. I am aware that you need to have supplemenarty bonding to bring all metal work taps/pipes etc & incoming circuits to the same potential.

Two Questions:

1. The towel warmer has a heater element and central heating. Can I connect the CPC from the FCU (for the element) to the supplemenatry bonding loop negating the need to bond the towel warmer pipes as well? Or do I need to bond the flow and return from the towel warmer in addition? I wanted to avoid earthing clamps on my nice stainless steel warmer.

2. Same room has a shaver socket connected to the light circuit (fairly standard I think) Do I need to bond the CPC from both the light and shaver socket, and/or should I fit an RCBO to the current upstairs light circuit which isn't protected by RCD at the moment?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In the middle of an ongoing ensuite upgrade. I am fitting a Dual Fuel towel warmer. I am aware that you need to have supplemenarty bonding to bring all metal work taps/pipes etc & incoming circuits to the same potential.
No - not all metal, only extraneous-conductive-parts.

1. The towel warmer has a heater element and central heating. Can I connect the CPC from the FCU (for the element) to the supplemenatry bonding loop negating the need to bond the towel warmer pipes as well? Or do I need to bond the flow and return from the towel warmer in addition? I wanted to avoid earthing clamps on my nice stainless steel warmer.
If the towel warmer has a cpc then it's not an extraneous-conductive-part. The pipes may be - you haven't said, but they can be bonded in a nearby location (e.g. airing cupboard), or under the floor, as long as you either keep earthing clamps accessible or use a type of connection which does not require to be accessible. The cpc of the circuit supplying the warmer has to be bonded to the other appropriate cpcs and extraneous-conductive-parts:

Regulation 601-04-01 requires that the protective conductor terminals of each circuit supplying Class I and Class II electrical equipment in zones 1, 2 or 3, and extraneous-conductive-parts in these zones, are all connected together by local supplementary equipotential bonding conductors complying with Regulation Group 547-03.

2. Same room has a shaver socket connected to the light circuit (fairly standard I think) Do I need to bond the CPC from both the light and shaver socket, and/or should I fit an RCBO to the current upstairs light circuit which isn't protected by RCD at the moment?
See above - the circuit cpc needs bonding. You can connect the bonding at the shaver socket or the light, whichever is easier.

Thanks BAS - helpful as ever.

I have concluded that the copper radiator pipes that flow from the central heating through the floor to the towel warmer are extraneous, and therefore need bonding. unfortunatley I don't have an airing cupboard nearby to do the bonding, so I need permanent earth clamps if they are to be inaccessible.

Do you think this "retro screw" qualifys as permanent?
I am thinking probably not, I guess the soldered version is the only acceptable one?

http://www.earthcrimpconnectors.co.uk/

Thanks again[/code]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back